Microsoft shows full windows for Arm powered devices

I think all desktop OSs are on the verge of being locked down. OSX will determine this, if they manage to make it so the end user can not install unauthorized apps like they do in iOS then I'm sure Microsoft will be hot on their heels like they always are. If Apple manages it before windows runs on ARM then I don't know why you would want to run windows on your Pandora. Without hacking the OS you'll only be able to run a handful of apps(look how small their market is for phones) and none of them will be emulators that you currently run on your Pandora. Well, or any for that matter, emulators will not be authorized on the OS I'm sure. This all depends on if it is locked down though.

Also, when windows for ARM ships I bet it will require a beefy ARM processor to run, much more than what the Pandora has right now. It won't even be out for a year or more and they'll want to have it optimized for whatever the latest and greatest hardware is out right then.

Last edited by a moderator:
...I'm sure Microsoft will be hot on their heels like they always are...

In the same way that Microsoft copied Apple in abandoning old dev frameworks in newer versions of their OS, forcing developers to port or abandon their software? Or how Microsoft copied Apple in attempting to restrict the languages and runtimes you can use with their OS? Or how Microsoft copied Apple by distributing crappy video drivers? No, wait... Microsoft haven't copied any of those things. .NET framework 1.0 still works on Windows 7 x64, Java gets updated, driver updates are available via Windows Update pretty much on the same day as nVidia or AMD release them. That's not to say that Microsoft don't copy Apple (and any other company that's taking market share from them) sometimes, they'd be stupid not to. However, Microsoft does not have a history of *removing* functionality or features so it seems unlikely to me that they will follow Apple's lock-down-everything approach.

in attempting to restrict the languages and runtimes you can use with their OS?
When did that happen, pray tell?

It was for iOS - they wanted you to only use their approved languages for developing iOS apps. They also locked it down to the extent that interpreted languages (such as LUA, Flash etc) were verboten. It was only short-lived, as I recall the backlash from developers getting pretty harsh.

The "no interpreted languages" clause was the reason that the C64 emulator was initially removed - you could quite easily use it to code games in C64 BASIC.

D.

I think all desktop OSs are on the verge of being locked down. OSX will determine this, if they manage to make it so the end user can not install unauthorized apps like they do in iOS then I'm sure Microsoft will be hot on their heels like they always are. If Apple manages it before windows runs on ARM then I don't know why you would want to run windows on your Pandora. Without hacking the OS you'll only be able to run a handful of apps(look how small their market is for phones) and none of them will be emulators that you currently run on your Pandora. Well, or any for that matter, emulators will not be authorized on the OS I'm sure. This all depends on if it is locked down though.

Also, when windows for ARM ships I bet it will require a beefy ARM processor to run, much more than what the Pandora has right now. It won't even be out for a year or more and they'll want to have it optimized for whatever the latest and greatest hardware is out right then.
You know what? That scares the living crap out of me. Seriously, I've been so afraid to see that happen that I never dared type or say it. But what if it becomes a free upgrade? Or worse, a mandatory upgrade? Excuse me, I feel the urge to go on an unrealistic Hollywood-Style hacking expedition into the inner sanctums of my iMac, carefully dissecting the operating system and discovering a patch of rogue code that'll cause each and every system to explode at a specific date and time, incidentally the twenty-four hours after they launch their next operating system. I then proceed to run into their headquarters and break into the main server room from where they'll launch the update. I see a lone terminal gently glowing in the darkness. A dark figure is hunched over it. As I run up, I realize my mistake. This was a trap, and it's too late to bow out. The room is suddenly flooded with light, and I'm temporarily blinded. Pain explodes across my face as an unseen assailant hits me, and hits me hard. As I open my eyes, I realize that it was the figure in the dark. I'm lying at its feet, a boot directly before my face. I look up and see blue, black, and realize that I've just been pistol whipped by Jobs himself.

"So you took the bait. Somebody had to. Frankly, I'm impressed."

Laying his pistol atop one of the servers, he knelt beside me.

"Did you really think you'd be able to stop the update? This server room was a decoy."

"I know." I'm really quite a terrible liar.

"Now you know, boy."

"You forgot something."

"Really?" he sneered. "What could I possibly have failed to-"

I didn't give him the opportunity to finish the sentence as I silenced the old beatnik with my fist, leaping atop one of the servers, grabbing his pistol, and shooting out the fluorescent lights. They're not particularly good for my complexion. As I dashed out the door, I could see his glasses shining back at me in the dark. Vaguely, I could make out a smile.

It was for iOS - they wanted you to only use their approved languages for developing iOS apps. They also locked it down to the extent that interpreted languages (such as LUA, Flash etc) were verboten. It was only short-lived, as I recall the backlash from developers getting pretty harsh.

The "no interpreted languages" clause was the reason that the C64 emulator was initially removed - you could quite easily use it to code games in C64 BASIC.

D.
Ah, ok. Thanks.

That was a bit confusing, since it was in a bit of text about desktop OSes, and direct comparisons to Microsoft Windows... :lol:

Paranoia about how much the proprietary guys might lock down their systems is a little misplaced IMO. They are already closed systems, we already have better alternatives, and we will continue to have free platforms in the future. If they want to go down this path they can go pound sand.

With that out of the way - back on topic:

• Is it interesting that Microsoft is working on an ARM port? Sure.

• Is more choice good? Always.

• Would I run Windows on my Pandora? Oh HELL NO!

But hey - knock yourself out. It not like any x86 Windows games are going to run on it though - at least not without emulation. So I don't see it taking off as a viable alternative.

D.

I was actually referring to the "Java is deprecated" announcement which, while not an outright banning of Java on OS X certainly makes Java a less attractive language/framework/runtime for mac developers.

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#releasenotes/Java/JavaSnowLeopardUpdate3LeopardUpdate8RN/NewandNoteworthy/NewandNoteworthy.html

[edit] while by no means a Mac fan myself, I'm not trying to turn this into an anti-Apple thing. Apple manage their OS from a user perspective, Microsoft manage theirs from a developer/vendor perspective. Both have their positives and it would be very difficult to do both. That makes Microsoft less likely to restrict how applications are developed, installed and run than Apple.

Last edited:
I'm looking at this the other way: if there's ARM windows, there will be ARM binaries for windows programs. If there are ARM binaries, that means it's feasible to run windows programs through wine without QEMU on a pandora. If game developers start releasing binaries for both architectures, this might end up being good for the pandora :)

to me these video shows nothing... of course, since the power ARM device now offer, there are no more reason for microsoft to develop 2 differents software branch as windows CE and windows NT. it was quite previsible... the real question is not "will they use the same code base for both PC and ARM device?", but "will the ARM OS version being locked/dumbed down?" and "will application developper provide some ARM binaries for their desktop software?"...

Windows on Arm?

Even if Windows 7 was ported today to ARM it still would be crap because all the applications are still in x86.

Open systems will win. The future of OS's is Android even Apples users are starting to wear thin of the crap they have to put up with from Apple.

Seeing as Android is pretty open there is no fear things will become "closed down". Even basic apple users that buy Macs because their shiny then dual boot windows and do everything in Windows will soon get annoyed at Apples locked down environemnt ("that'll be £60 to change a battery please!"). As much as MS are bastards I'd take Windows over Apple anyday. Any company that doesn't let you run their OS on anything but hardware made by them, charges their uses to change a battery and makes a million different proprietrary leads is a company only concerned with profiteering.

Let the shitstorm begin!

I'm going to agree fully here. Watch all the Wintel noobs flock to the Pandora forums absolutely puzzled by Halo not running. Aha.

Or were you talking about this thread. Also, fully agree. Here I go! v. ;)

It's already like this on the laptop I was given at school. I wish they hadn't, so I could go back to using my Linux laptop. Windows 7 on shit processor, can't run any programs (can run Java...sigh. I use Java to ssh out (I ditch an old box with a wifi dongle in a broom cupboard at school, would you believe?) and to play Minecraft).

And it SUCKS. I don't know how anyone could 'live' like this XD.

I don't think it will ever happen on the desktop. It won't work. Lots of Windows games are made by bedroom coders...if they can't write their programs, there'll be a lot less demand for Windows...

And word can only get so shit before people begin to find OpenOffice, which is, to my uttermost displeasure, faster and often lighter, than word, which is apparently 'the best'(or it wouldn't be used, RIGHT?).

FYI, I don't use either. When on (GNU/)Linux, I use AbiWord and Gnumeric. When forced to use Windows, I use Notepad (Or in the case that I am allowed to run programs that belong to the admin, AbiWord, which runs faster than notepad (doesn't take ~250ms to draw a char like notepad does (!)). Yep.

Haha, that's right, you proprietary OS users are screwed :( .

Paranoia about how much the proprietary guys might lock down their systems is a little misplaced IMO. They are already closed systems, we already have better alternatives, and we will continue to have free platforms in the future. If they want to go down this path they can go pound sand.

With that out of the way - back on topic:

• Is it interesting that Microsoft is working on an ARM port? Sure.

• Is more choice good? Always.

• Would I run Windows on my Pandora? Oh HELL NO!

But hey - knock yourself out. It not like any x86 Windows games are going to run on it though - at least not without emulation. So I don't see it taking off as a viable alternative.

> they can go pound sand

Punching wood!

> Would I run Windows on my Pandora? Oh HELL NO!

+1

I'm looking at this the other way: if there's ARM windows, there will be ARM binaries for windows programs. If there are ARM binaries, that means it's feasible to run windows programs through wine without QEMU on a pandora. If game developers start releasing binaries for both architectures, this might end up being good for the pandora :)

Yes...

<not serious>And now there will be ARM virii for the first time, yaaaaay!</not serious>

<serious>But that is a serious issue. Windows attracts lameness</serious>

(and @richiz)

>Open systems will win.

Open systems do win for those who've actually tried them.

The future of OSes is...not written yet.

<joke>Can't be, it's the FUTURE os</joke>

<serious>Nothing out there is actually working :( </serious>

The future of OSes can't truly happen until there is cooperation with device manufacturers(The problem in Linux, and Haiku, and every hobby OS), and the operating system doesn't suck due to shit code and/or DRM and/or misc faggotry(The problem in Windows/OSX).

What needs to happen is not an OS written for the hardware, but the hardware written for the OS.

That is my plan. No further details until something works.

/major-rant

Color me interested. I'd heard about the next Windows' compatibility for ARM, but it's good to see it actually working. If it works on Pandora, even better, though I don't think Pandora's hardware will be very ideal for the OS. It would be great to have as an option. Perhaps I could keep a 32GB SD card for just Windows and I could edit documents or work in other Windows-only programs without having to switch to my laptop for that.

My Pandora boots in 30-40 seconds running Angstrom. I bet it would take ages to boot Windows, and of course, as time goes by, the boot time will increase (just like any other machine running Windows, because it would install many stuff automatically). I try to get away from Windows as much as I can.

Back