Mii-like Avatars?

RomanH

Still Fresh
Hi everybody

Considering the success of the Miis on the Nintendo Wii, wouldn't it be a good idea to have something similar on the Pandora? It could be something really simple, like an image and a text file with some info like (nickname, birthday, etc.) about the “user” in a predefined place on the Pandora (not the SD card). On each Pandora there could be an infinite amount of such “users”.

That way all games and other programs could find this information and use them for whatever they want. E.g. games could save progress for each “user” and the user could use his/her “user” in different games. Just like the Miis on the Wii.

Of course the games would NOT save on the Pandora but on the SD card!

I guess what I’m asking for is voluntary standardisation...

RomanH

Seeing as the Pandora runs linux, I'd think this wouldn't be too terribly difficult to implement. Most applications store per-user settings in the user's home directory anyway. We'd just need the interface to be designed with several users in mind. If I were to take a guess, I'd say right now it's designed with only one user in mind, i.e. there's a root account and a generic "user" account.

Heh, I don't know if there will be much call for this, but if there is, I vote they be called "Ids" (singular - Id)
double meaning -
1) They will be Unique ID's for the user and
2) They could represent our base desire to play games.

I agree, implementation would be easy. In my opinion the "Ids" wouldn't have to have anything to do with the actual Linux user. I don't want to have to log out and back in just to switch to another "Id" or when I hand over the Pandora or when playing a multiplayer game on the TV.

I think you just described a avatar, and a user profile.

The Miis were popular because of there (even though limited) ability to make them look like a certain person. You could send your me off to other systems, and they are part of the licensees sdk as a small component to add to their game.

I think what you are getting at is some type of software base that is available to all systems from right out of the box; that is a more interesting and more broad topic that we all can discuss. Great idea though.

atomicthumbs said:
How about just allowing people to upload pictures?
That would be an easier to do by far but the idea of customizing a little character for yourself is fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
novaslogic said:
atomicthumbs said:
That would be an easier to do by far but the idea of customizing a little character for yourself is fun.

its called Photoshop/GIMP...

iRRVi said:
novaslogic said:
atomicthumbs said:

its called Photoshop/GIMP...

You see, not everyone is as savi at you at that stuff mr high and mighty. Its called simplicity. Stuff doesn't always need to be complicated, sometimes its just nice to make something easily which is why Mii were so much fun to create.

novaslogic said:
You see, not everyone is as savi at you at that stuff mr high and mighty. Its called simplicity. Stuff doesn't always need to be complicated, sometimes its just nice to make something easily...
Which is why we have MS Paint ;)

For "avatars" to be used I think it is important to keep it as simple as possible for the users AND the developers. Therefore I would prefere a simple image plus a textfile (e.g. something like an ini-file) with the nickname etc. over some complicated 3D model which will not be implemented in any games anyway. I'm pretty sure that most 3D games for the Pandora will be games that have been ported from other systems and therefore are very unlikely to support any form of 3D-Pandora-only avatars...

RomanH

yup! as long as there isn't a huge game SDK with predefined model and texture formats and maybe even a basic 3D engine we won't have a sea of devloppers using the Ids (but.. why Id ? why not PII ?;))

Also, big news dropped some hours ago at E3, MS will be having new AVATAR system in their Xbox Live service. Really looks and sounds like Mii ripoff, and that's pretty lame.

However on xbox this can be useful for chat and multiplayer games, and their new 'live party'.

But on P&|a.. i can't see a big use. Bank of Ids on a same device to plug in games? useless. Online Id for scoreboards, multiplayer and chat (xbox-live-clone)? Useful!

Maybe a small 64x64 image or we could even get away with small 16x16 gif icons just like www.pouet.net

barzoule said:
Also, big news dropped some hours ago at E3, MS will be having new AVATAR system in their Xbox Live service. Really looks and sounds like Mii ripoff, and that's pretty lame.

However on xbox this can be useful for chat and multiplayer games, and their new 'live party'.

But on P&|a.. i can't see a big use. Bank of Ids on a same device to plug in games? useless. Online Id for scoreboards, multiplayer and chat (xbox-live-clone)? Useful!

Maybe a small 64x64 image or we could even get away with small 16x16 gif icons just like www.pouet.net
Well, I'm sure most of us were aware of the Avatar thing that MS is working on. Anyway, I'm not so sure it's a Mii rip-off as such, more of a logical extension of the GamerCard. I mean, if you were to accuse any program that has a "Friends List" as ripping that feature off of the originator, then there would be pointless bashing of it all the time. What I'm trying to say is that Nintendo has a good idea, MS is just looking into it.

On the topic of a 2D avatar that was suggested, why not give the user the tools to create one as simply as possible?

Yes, right. So, it should be a 2D image, say 64x64 pixels, only the head and the shoulders.
We should make a "template" image, where the ears, neck and head-silhouette positions are adumbrated.
You can use these images with a 3D bilboard technique for 3D games as well. Anyone rmembers "Pix mit" frim German KiKa?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHoEqf5VZHQ

Yes, or it could be like on the DS, like the game mario kart of animal crossing.

Give the person a 64x64 pixel box, a couple templates for random pictures, and let them go from there. As long as their is different colours for the "pencil" then people will be happy. Much like the bottom image.

2ednpmb.jpg

Blake said:
Yes, or it could be like on the DS, like the game mario kart of animal crossing.

Give the person a 64x64 pixel box, a couple templates for random pictures, and let them go from there. As long as their is different colours for the "pencil" then people will be happy. Much like the bottom image.

2ednpmb.jpg

If we implement this, we are going to end up with penises on hats.

Or pretty much any other design-your-own-whatever thing.

Chip said:
Now what would make you think that would happen?

Aside from the recent Spore CC stuff, the fact that any online game which allows you to design some part of it which others can see will be infested with penis-drawing 13-year-olds.

Back