Minimenu App Scan Infinite Loop?

authoreyes

Website
www.markandmarina.com
Was really starting to dig minimenu, and spent a bit of time today (first free time in a while) customizing the categories, apps, .ovrs, etc...

However, I ended up in a bad state with mmenu...What happens now, is from xfce, when I try to switch GUI, mmenu does its app scan, screen goes black, and then the cycle repeats, infinitely. All the changes I did were through the gui itself, no conf file hacking. However, once this loop occured, I tried replacing the mmenu.conf with a mmenu.conf.old in the same /etc/pandora/conf space to no avail...

Anyone encountered anything like this?

Never heard of such a thing; it sounds like mm is crashing during the app-scan, and the wrapper is tryign to reload mm. (endlessly.)

Did you drop in a new pnd and have the problem appear? (ie: the pnd could be bad in just such a way as to blow things up?)

Were you overclocked high at the time? We have seen something weird where at certain clockspeeds the system could get wonky while mm was looking for pnd files, but that weas really weird and rare, so no info on it.

jeff

Thanks for the replies guys...

Jeff,

Not really sure what I did to cause it...can't find any output or such...I'll see if I can get any helpful debug info...

As for overclocking, I'm not sure what constitutes high...I usually run at around 750...don't seem to have issues there...At that point when the crash occured, I don't believe I had added a new pnd....but I will try Alerino's advice and start scaling things back, moving them around...

authoreyes said:
Was really starting to dig minimenu, and spent a bit of time today (first free time in a while) customizing the categories, apps, .ovrs, etc...

However, I ended up in a bad state with mmenu...What happens now, is from xfce, when I try to switch GUI, mmenu does its app scan, screen goes black, and then the cycle repeats, infinitely. All the changes I did were through the gui itself, no conf file hacking. However, once this loop occured, I tried replacing the mmenu.conf with a mmenu.conf.old in the same /etc/pandora/conf space to no avail...

Anyone encountered anything like this?
I have had this allot. It is an error somewhere in an .ovr file most likely. Where I don't know but it seems finicky. I tried to suss it out but I couldn't, everything looked fine. I just nixed all .ovr files and it worked but I got all of the crappy catagories.

It was such a hassle to try to figure out the exact syntax (a carriage return in the wrong spot or lack of it will bug it out, or a certain character etc)that I just end up now hacking the .PND itself with a text editor and change the name and catagory in there :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
They're not that bad; those ovr files you sent me to examine Dave were totally fubar though, if I recall :)

But yeah, they're not obvious .. I'l get that ovr editing into mm or whatever soon, and it'll be a moot problem.

jeff

Hmm...

So I tried removing all the ovr files, getting rid of any recent pnds, moving things around, no luck...

Not sure what else to try....

Any ideas Jeff?

No clue; like I say, never seen it happen.

Presumably you have no problem if you fire up mm, with your SD ejected?

Assuming so, then something about your SD is blowing it up.

Got another SD or time to move your SD contwnt to hdd and slowly move things back to SD until it blows up? (I'm wondering if dodgy SD and something got corrupted, too..?)

ie: Rename /pandora/menu (if thats where all your pnds are), and then make a new /pandora/menu, and move a few over, try it, move a few more over, try it, until you find the culprit?

Or perhaps its appdata .. coudl try the same approach..

jeff

Back