Minimum resolution on Pyra screen

ible

professional vim user
Can we send the display board a lower resolution screen than 720p? And for more options (if possible), what would the output of "xrandr" be?

Thought I needed to post the opposite of "Maximum resolution on external monitor" thread.

Can we send the display board a lower resolution screen than 720p? And for more options (if possible), what would the output of "xrandr" be?
Maybe?, A lot is unknown at this point until units gets to devs. Some reading I've done, I know the Solomon MIPI (rotator) chip has some scaling abilities, but not sure those can be used at the same time as rotation.

image.jpg

Yes, it should work somehow.
The rotator chip can do it as should the OMAP5. It needs to be coded though.

About xrandr: xrandr works fine when using omapdrm as X driver, but that's a lot slower than fbturbo (which is the one we want to use).
fbturbo does not yet support xrandr, but it can be implemented.

Does that mean the Pyra won't support DRM (Direct Rendering Manager) ?
I'm not an expert, but as far as I understand fbdev seems to pose certain problems which DRM solved.

Does that mean the Pyra won't support DRM (Direct Rendering Manager) ?
It's all just about the X driver. X has nothing to do with DRM, you can use DRM without X getting in the way.

RandR support on the other hand is quite an issue, using the HDMI out will be painful without it (does fbturbo even support multiple screens at all?).

Yes, it should work somehow.
The rotator chip can do it as should the OMAP5. It needs to be coded though.

About xrandr: xrandr works fine when using omapdrm as X driver, but that's a lot slower than fbturbo (which is the one we want to use).
fbturbo does not yet support xrandr, but it can be implemented.
Can one switch between omapdrm and fbturbo as desired, or is one stuck with one or the other?

I may be wrong, @aTc would know better, but I believe the omapdrm is slow due to some dependency of needing a working SGX driver.
Can one switch between omapdrm and fbturbo as desired, or is one stuck with one or the other?
Yes, changing between them is just a single line xorg config file change.

X would need to be restarted.

There shouldn't be much need for that though, unless you change resolution or multi-monitor setup a lot.
However, that can all be added into the fbturbo driver as well.

X would need to be restarted.

There shouldn't be much need for that though, unless you change resolution or multi-monitor setup a lot.
However, that can all be added into the fbturbo driver as well.
Take your time with that, I don't think I will need xrandr right away. I just wanted to be able to use redshift to make the screen more reddish at night to help me sleep.

Take your time with that, I don't think I will need xrandr right away. I just wanted to be able to use redshift to make the screen more reddish at night to help me sleep.

Haha! I love this, I install it everywhere I can, and it really irritates me when some device doesn't support it.

unless you change resolution or multi-monitor setup a lot
I was actually kinda optimistic about that kind of stuff. Gotta admit I don't know much about manually configuring X or its behavior, but I sure hope that doesn't mean I can't just plug in a HDMI cable and get at least a mirrored output without restarting X. That would be horrible usability-wise.

Haha! I love this, I install it everywhere I can, and it really irritates me when some device doesn't support it.

Problem solved
Since I have this little miracle my eyes don't hurt after a short period of computer work any more :)

A red interface is also important for astrohpotography. When you're out on the field in the dark it's important to only use red-light, so that your eyes are getting adapted to the dark. This takes up to an hour whereas an adaption onto brighter light goes quick.

I was actually kinda optimistic about that kind of stuff. Gotta admit I don't know much about manually configuring X or its behavior, but I sure hope that doesn't mean I can't just plug in a HDMI cable and get at least a mirrored output without restarting X. That would be horrible usability-wise.

You can do this with the omapdrm X driver until fbturbo has implemented this.
fbturbo has faster graphics output, but it doesn't mean you can't use omapdrm instead.

Back