mmcblk0p1 somehow renamed to gibberish

Odd4Life

Still Fresh
I noticed that Thunar wouldn't open one of my SD cards (it didn't even display an error message when I clicked the shortcut to mmcblk0p1) even though my Windows PC could (i.e. it isn't corrupted), so I checked the media folder and saw that mmcblk0p1 had been renamed to a box with what looked like hex code (like when a browser can't display a character properly) followed by a capital Z and then two diamonds with question marks in them. Can't rename it without being root, it seems, but I don't know if it would be safe to do so with Thunar as root. Would that give the SD card a label? Or would a reflash be the best option?

I don't think you need to reflash your pandora without more evidence. As you surmise, the label on the SD card has simply become corrupted. But that means any of the data on that card could be corrupted, or be in the process of bring corrupted, so as LinuxSWAT says, back up the contents of that card, stat.

Once you've done that, you could investigate changing the label on the card. Sadly, the Pandora OS seems to have been stripped of the tools I usually use for the task, but apparently gparted can change a label without reformatting. Alternatively, rename it on your Windows machine, which should be easier in this instance. Then keep an eye out for other things going funny on that card, in case it's on the way out.

I've had this problem as well, but it just went away...

I too have had this problem, probably have had it for around 6-8 months. Not sure what causes it or what types of errors it causes. But I do know I can easily tell which one of my folders is my SD card, so that's a plus!

-Xaeo

Can't rename it without being root, it seems, but I don't know if it would be safe to do so with Thunar as root. Would that give the SD card a label? Or would a reflash be the best option?
i had the same issue before. Seems to happen once in a while, randomly. Very strange bug.

In my case the data in the SD card was all there, but I had to rename the SD Card so that it becomes accessible again. No issue with doing that as root. It worked well (from the terminal, don't use Thunar for that).

Did you do that without reformatting the card? My usual tools for renaming partitions aren't there in the Pandora's OS afaict, so I don't know of a way to rename a partition without reformatting from the command line.

Back