Mobile Internet

Chip said:
Yes, but that makes it an external solution, doesn't it? GSM radios are definitely too thick and possibly too wide to fit inside the slot, so the entire device would have to sit outside. At that point, you're much better off using a USB dongle, which we already know work, and which would be less likely to snap off from the slightest bump.

In other words, there are perfectly good reasons why nobody has bothered to make a SDIO cell radio, and why in all likelihood, nobody ever will.

I realize that. Personally, I didn't understand why he was looking for an SD solution instead of just using the USB dongle. I just supplied my answer based on the details of his question.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize that. Personally, I didn't understand why he was looking for an SD solution instead of just using the USB dongle. I just supplied my answer based on the details of his question.

-God Ginrai

i was asking for an sdio 3g thing because i think it would be alot nicer not to have something sticking out of the side, i didnt know it couldnt fit xD

I'm terribly sorry to go a bit off-topic here, but it doesn't seem right to make a new topic when it'd be in reference to the below quote.

timewarp said:
The mifi dongle is like a wifi router, so you just configure on windows to the settings you want
Just curious: Are you required to use Windows to configure these things? I've seen two mentions of that today. (I'd like to pick one of those things up, but I don't use Windows, and nor does anybody I know, so this is a key thing I'd like to find out. :p)

This thing's a bargain.

Only 50 quid for a Pay as you go one from Maplin (if you're in the UK).

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=347521

Bloody hurry up Pandora!!

Make your own SDIO GSM receiver..

332990084_o.jpg

[post='http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Hagiwara-SDIO-card-development-kit-HS-DDK-003_W0QQitemZ390136472447QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad5f2237f']SDIO Creation Kit[/post]

Just dial up, who needs cordless!

inBox.jpg

Gricey said:
I'd love to see some examples of how to pair and tether with a bluetooth phone on the pandora. I'm a linux guy but have no Linux BT experience. At all.

Ok, lamely quoting myself --

I had trouble pairing with my iPhone (which has BT tethering) using a recent but not brand new distro (jolicloud) on my asus eeepc900 and a BT dongle (it uses NetworkManager, I made some assumptions of similarity!).

I did some googling, and in more recent versions of NM they have added BT PAN support, which is what the iPhone and other modern phones often support for tethering.

So, that in mind, I looked at Fedora 12, as the NM guys seem to be quite down with the Fedora project (boo hiss! I'm a Debian fanboy). I booted the live image, and lo and behold, its quite easy.

Click the bluetooth icon, pair with the phone, tick the box to say use this device for internet sharing. Click the normal network manager logo, and there is your BT phone in the drop down. Click, accessed, done. And now I'm posting from the laptop over Bluetooth. Easy!

I guess, what I'm saying is, does Angstrom have the recent version of networkmanager / bluetooth libs so it supports PAN out of the box?

Cheers,
Mike

Gricey said:
I'd love to see some examples of how to pair and tether with a bluetooth phone on the pandora. I'm a linux guy but have no Linux BT experience. At all.

i also would like more information on this with nokia phones when time comes.
theres an app for tethering via wifi to a nokia phone that connects via its gprs/3g connection with the app JoikuSpot

Back