Mobile Phone Unlocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibberish

during the past few years i've always been interested in unlocking/modifying gadgetry and tend to go through periods of intense interest whereby i spend most of my spare days reading various tutorials and checking forums on a certain device. usually its a pleasant experience, people freely sharing their knowledge and providing guides to let you achieve what you set out to achieve... i've never had too much problem with any of the consoles i've soft or hard modded thanks to the information i've found online.

just recently i acquired a "spare" phone from my provider, and as its useless to me i thought id stick it on ebay. checking the prices it quickly became obvious that phones unlocked to every network fetch higher prices than those which are locked to only one. naturally i set about looking online for some tutorials to unlock this certain model, and to my surprise it appeared to me that this phone unlocking scene is a much less forthcoming, more secretive, somewhat darker scene than any of the others i've come accross. there are literally hundreds of websites willing to charge you upwards of £10 (some are nearly £30!) for the simple privelege of providing a code to let you unlock your phone.

now i dont really know the legality of unlocking phones, although i suspect that its either completely legal or somewhat a "grey area" so i wont ask for specifics, but i wuuld like to ask if anybody has any experience in this field and could possibly point me in the direction of a forum which provides basic guides, tutorials, links to information or software and such. preferably somewhere free of the hundreds of spammers and paysite owners posting to trying to convince you that their site is the only one worth paying to use. there must be a community for this somewhere, surely?

thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of phone providers now provide unlock codes for free if you phone them up (and I know a couple have stopped locking some of their phones). I'm sure there was some legal thing about this a couple of years ago, although I can't find any details on it atm.

Despite that, one site that I have found useful in the past is http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/index.php. They have a lot of info on general phone hackery and if you hunt around on their there are a few huge threads with people providing free unlock codes to people that request them.

I'd like to find a way to take all those pay sites down. All of them just steal the information for unlocking phones from other sites (where it's free). Unfortunately, there are too many (let's be nice and call them) unsophisticated people who don't go beyond the first search results and they think they have to pay to get this kind of information.

It's enough to make me sick.

And yes, HowardForums.com is the best.

'David Bowman' said:
I'd like to find a way to take all those pay sites down. All of them just steal the information for unlocking phones from other sites (where it's free). Unfortunately, there are too many (let's be nice and call them) unsophisticated people who don't go beyond the first search results and they think they have to pay to get this kind of information.

sorry everyone in the world doesnt worship the temple of the computer, maybe theyre out doing 'unsophisticated' activities like having other hobbies or having sex or going out with friends

'PoisonedV' said:
sorry everyone in the world doesnt worship the temple of the computer, maybe theyre out doing 'unsophisticated' activities like having other hobbies or having sex or going out with friends
or maybe theyre sat at home trolling the gp32x forums.

thanks for the replies, unfortuneatly ive already checked howardforums and my searches bring back nothing useful for unlocking a w302. i'll try the other site linked, thanks for the help so far.

'PoisonedV' said:
gibberish said it best.

@gibberish: Maybe the forums at Afterdawn.com?

'PoisonedV' said:
'David Bowman' said:

Not every one settles for sex with a dude, V.

And what type of phone is it, my WM phone was easy to unlock.

gibberish, I've looked now for a few minutes, and it does appear that this is a tough cookie to crack. It appears (from what I've seen) that there is no simple (or at least no known) way to simply enter an unlock code for the SonyEricson w302. I logged into howardforums.com and I couldn't find any information at all. This is a relatively new model, yes?

All of the methods I've seen so far involve a usb cable and a program. Perhaps these phones will not accept a generic unlock code and require a specific, individual code calculated with some clandestine algorithm?

If you HAVE to go the pay route, check ebay.co.uk. There were some more reasonably priced cables and programs on there (£12.99), plus you get ebay's protection if you do not get what is promised.

Wish I could have been more help. Let me know what your results are bud!

Unlocking a mobile is very easy nowadays. U can unlock it by service provider or from the online itself. I found the unlock free instructions for nokia,lg,samsung from unlock guide & i want the unlock code as free

gibberish said:
[...]hundreds of spammers and paysite owners posting to trying to convince you that their site is the only one worth paying to use[...]

mercury said:
Unlocking a mobile is very easy nowadays. U can unlock it by service provider or from the online itself. I found the unlock free instructions for nokia,lg,samsung from unlock guide & i want the unlock code as free
LOL

Reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back