Moderator needed!

Problem with being a mod is having to hold-out on the fun of making snarky comments.

I hope you sort one soon, threads like this certainly don't do the Pandora any favours

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't mind doing some modding - I can't guarantee that I'll put lots of time and effort into it, but perhaps it's better to have several mods who put a little time in it than to have only one or two mods who put so much effort in it that the forum basically has a big problem when one of them is away for some time.

So feel free to make me a mod, but please also give mod powers to several other people like WizardStan, ExoPhase, notaz, mcobit, Askarus, skeezix, foxblock, pmprog, DREDD, Linux-SWAT, B-ZaR, Binky, ekianjo, etc. I'd rather have 10 somewhat active mods than 2 or 3 hyperactive mods who inevitably get tired of all that modding at some point.

quartercast..

Thanks Wally, I'm definitely keen to put my hand up :D

I might not post as much or be as vocal as all the other suggestions, but I have been around for a long time. I did help out with the rebirth graphics etc and would be keen to help out moderating.

So many good members to choose from, cheers to whoever gets chosen :)

Maybe one of these people:

binky

ekianjo

mcobit

slaeshjag

_wb_

I am in Asia so maybe it would not fit for the time zones. Plus, I am very opinionated :) Not sure I fill the bill to be a moderator :) But if everyone else agrees I could do the job, well you can give me the rights and I will moderate as much as I can, but my time is limited - I only spend 1 hour on the boards these days so I could only moderate the subjects I look at.

Problem with being a mod is having to hold-out on the fun of making snarky comments.

Indeed.

I'd considering volunteering, but I'm not sure I'm qualified, especially given the snarkiness in the past. And I also don't have internet access during the week ends. But, I do tend to be online constantly during the week at GMT +8

EDIT: OTOH, making me a mod would force me to behave myself :p

But Askarus would also make a good mod imho and lives in Europe

I'm pretty busy these days.

2-3 Days a week in the Pandora office and the rest of my time is for University.

If I find time to follow those topics I'm interested in and am able to do some posts in the support section it's all I can hope for.

I'll ask EvilDragon if it makes sense for me to take over such a position.

It would be more useful to make some signature that shows people I'm the one in the "official repair center".

Give me more that 24 hours a day and can finally do that.

I wouldn't mind doing some modding - I can't guarantee that I'll put lots of time and effort into it, but perhaps it's better to have several mods who put a little time in it than to have only one or two mods who put so much effort in it that the forum basically has a big problem when one of them is away for some time.

So feel free to make me a mod, but please also give mod powers to several other people like WizardStan, ExoPhase, notaz, mcobit, Askarus, skeezix, foxblock, pmprog, DREDD, Linux-SWAT, B-ZaR, Binky, ekianjo, etc. I'd rather have 10 somewhat active mods than 2 or 3 hyperactive mods who inevitably get tired of all that modding at some point.

I share this.

Thanks to those who suggested me.

I'll think of what's best.

I don't think, that this is a problem.

As long as you don't hurt anyone or break a rule, a mod still can have opinions and say them.

However, I am with _wb_ about the "think about these other guys"-part. foxblock would sureless be a good choice. ;)

Since we are at suggesting mods here's my pick : _wb_, TracyMG, pmprog, Binky, skeezix, foxblock. All of them are, I feel, in the right position to be mods currently - their responses are usually balanced and helpful.

There are others you guys mentioned but some are known to be quite opinionated and I would not want them to be influenced by their responsibilities as mods. I like seeing some debate as well :)

I'd feel very, very uncomfortable with _wb_ being a mod; he's very actively and rabidly anti-closed-source to the point where he's said that he would not participate in a competition that allows closed-source entries.

Call me paranoid, but I don't think someone whose values are that skewed should be given mod powers - I don't feel that he would be able to remain impartial.

D.

I'd feel very, very uncomfortable with _wb_ being a mod; he's very actively and rabidly anti-closed-source to the point where he's said that he would not participate in a competition that allows closed-source entries.

Call me paranoid, but I don't think someone whose values are that skewed should be given mod powers - I don't feel that he would be able to remain impartial.

D.

I don't know, I feel like it's possible to discuss with him at least, without degenerating into insults. Plus, he tends to be very rational (apart from the open-source discussions), which is a good point for a mod.

I'm not "neutral" at all, so if that's a requirement for being a mod, then please don't make me a mod. I have quite strong feelings about several topics, including politics, religion and software licenses ;)

However I would never use mod powers to push my views in any way. I would strictly use it only to keep spam and insults away, keep threads somewhat on topic, move threads to the correct subforum or split subdiscussions away from a main thread, and stuff like that.

If there are disagreements being discussed, I don't think it's the task of mods to "settle" discussions by closing the thread and declaring a winner, or something like that. That would be severe mod abuse in my opinion. The only thing a mod needs to do in such cases is ensure that the discussion remains civilized and on-topic. If all goes well, such threads bring out the best arguments for each point of view, which is great: each reader can then arrive at their own conclusion, depending on which arguments he/she thinks are most convincing.

Anyway, I don't think ZXDunny is more "neutral" than me, but I think he would also be a good mod.

it's the task of mods to "settle" discussions by closing the thread and declaring a winner

This guy for mod. That idea might just be crazy enough to work.
Urm, were you cherry picking? or just an oversight? As the actual quote is:

I don't think it's the task of mods to "settle" discussions by closing the thread and declaring a winner, or something like that

Back