Modern tech is really flimsy

^ I'm waiting for ARM-based netbooks to be more easily available before I follow that route, but I can easily see why you'd forego investing in a full-sized laptop when we all know that they don't last...

My MacBook's holding up well for now, at least. :lol: (And just you watch: Now that I've said that, it will surely start running into issues...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Zalman Trimon 22" 3D display
Everyone in my office (including me) has one of these. I don't use it that often, but sometimes it helps when looking at proteins and amino acid residues overlap and stuff.

It's ok, but I'm not really a fan of the interlaced-polarized stuff. (basically you get half the resolution, so there's goes the fancy 1080p :p )

The 22" 1080p HP monitor I have next to it is way better quality, and I don't really need the 3D stuff that much anyway.

There's a fallacy in saying that newer stuff is flimsier than older stuff: you know that all your working older stuff still works, but you don't know that all your working newer stuff won't still work just as long as the older stuff. All you can do is conjecture.

My personal conjecture is that there is no such correlation, but that any correlation is a result of a more global economy resulting in cheaper stuff being more widely available. In other words, I tend to think that it isn't that newer stuff is flimsier, but that flimsier stuff is more available. Buy the right stuff and it'll probably last just as long as your old keyboard you've been using forever.

There's also another fallacy at play: just because something has been working for 3 decades doesn't mean it will continue to work this coming week. Eventually, a problem will occur, and there's no real way to know when that will be unless you've been noticing a gradual deterioration of some kind, or there is a definite limit to life (e.g. flash memory), and even then, a different problem could occur before then.

As far as laptops, I haven't had many issues with mine. I, once, had to replace a keyboard on my netbook (I messed it up, was my fault). I've only really purchased macs for the past 7 or so years and haven't had any issues with any of them in terms of build quality. Then again, I tend to replace them fairly often (used to have a desktop and laptop, now 2 laptops...laptops replaced every 2-3 years). All my older stuff tends to go to my father...and the 7-year old powerbook G4 still works.

I like scratch resistant plastic.

Also, PSP and PS Vita are as solid as a rock and will probably live for another 30 years without fail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back