modular design? usb 3 display!

Yes, but there are several problems with a usb3 interfaced screen. Please read the thread, where someone suggests to use usb3 for hdmi out.

Do you have a link to the post, for some reason I do not find the thread/post you are referring to.

I can image there be some delaying overhead if usb is used for displaying fast moving images, a bit like the hdmi delay you see on some tv's when using a console.

thanks!

However I do not read what the exact problem would be for using it except that it can only do 25fps at full-hd.

Maybe the P2 would have a lower resolution screen?

I can still imagine more problems though but I did not see them.

Could have missed them, I'm tired...

Last edited by a moderator:
It would have a lot of overhead when pushing the data over usb interface instead of using the built in videointerfaces that are in the soc already?

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely true but I can imagine (ignoring all issues it could have) that a wireless detachable display would be a rather nice functionality.

(Also ignoring we are talking about usb3 and not the wireless model)

You could stream games from you pc to your handheld and use the controllers as the iControlpad.

The problems I see with this would be:

- draws more power

- why would you have a modular display in this manner, as a easily replaceable screen could also be suitable

- limits screen resolution

- screen has to have usb interface adding extra components and weight etc. (never mind the extra costs!)

- probably worse timings due to delays caused by overhead

- wireless model would use its own battery, causing even more extra components (charging, etc.)

The positive side:

- people not interested in the pandora could buy only the usb screen, for whatever reason (maybe as usb-drawingpad?) increasing sales

- can replace screen with more/larger better or different type of screen (e-paper screen for example)

- multiscreen option via usb-hub?

- no screen option, use pandora as iControlpad

- turnable screen, use pandora as tablet only

So I can not think of any positive functionality that is really convincing as a must have functionality.

Even if you don't have this bundeled with the Pandora you could still buy a wifi connected screen and use it with a Pandora(2)

Back