Sales Moneybookers: A possible Paypal alternative. Maybe.

gruso

thunderbox
Website
pandorapress.net
I've found no mention of this site anywhere on Openhandhelds, although it may have come up on GP32X. In a nutshell, Moneybookers.com is a transfer service very similar to Paypal. You can add funds from a credit card (but do read the fine print - more on this later) and you can send money to an email address. Their identity verification is not as painful as say, Tranzfers.

So I've just signed up to transfer funds for an UltraSatan (it's a dual SD card reader for Atari ST). The guys making it have just been through the same Paypal saga as Pandora. (Incidentally, they're also aware of Pandora and the much greater scale of the drama we had). They also say that Moneybookers isn't suitable for United States customers. Re-live their saga here: http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16112

I'm in the process of getting my bank account verified with Moneybookers. I'm not at the stage yet where I'm recommending them, because I want to see how it pans out. I'll post updates in this thread and give them my personal yay or nay. Here's what I can report so far:

Sign up: Painless. Plenty of details required like home phone, address etc, but they don't ask for underwear size, passport number or photos of your grandmother. No silly faxing / mailing of documents either. You DO need a mobile (cell) phone number.

Adding funds to your account: Too easy. Popped in my CC details, they sent me a security code via SMS, and the money was in. Painless. Or was it? Keep reading.

Sending money to someone: Ok, here's where you have to read the fine print. Moneybookers has a directory of Moneybookers Merchants where you can go shopping. This does not concern us. You can just send money to another member's email address, the same as Paypal. But once again, I refer you to the fine print. I attempted to send some Euros to an email address, and it said nuh-uh, you can't do this. I couldn't do it because I had gone the quick method of adding funds to my account, ie., credit card with an SMS verification code. This is not deemed suitable for sending money to non-Merchant members. So now we discuss...

Account verification. Going the quick route of credit card + SMS code is not what you want to do. You need to use the method Paypal uses, where they carry out a small transaction on your account, and you tell them what the amount was. But there's a catch here too. Your online bank statement must display this amount in Euros. Mine is AUD, so I could not continue.

I've emailed them to find out what I need to do to verify an account. I can just withdraw my funds if I want, but I'd much rather see this sorted out so I can use them. I probably won't hear from them until after the weekend.

Just to reiterate, Moneybookers is not suitable for USA residents, and I am not telling anyone to rush out and use them just yet. Stay tuned.

Update: As per post #6, looks like this service is only good for Europe/UK customers, due to account verification being done in EUR.

Hey man i'm in Australia too. I went down to my local bank asked them to turn international transfers on, went home, jumped on net bank and transferred it online, cost me $22 to send it but oh well the money is on the way p&|a

edit: oh yeah i was able to send the money in $US which the aussie dollar buys more of

Yeah, I did the same for Pandora (same $22 fee too, probably the same bank!). And I actually paid for UltraSatan by transfer too, except there was a slight hiccup and I have to send them another 10EUR. That's about 20AUD, but with the transfer fee, 42AUD. Ack.

So if this works out for me, it'll be much cheaper than a transfer. And hopefully useful for future Pandora buyers.

I sent a moneyorder, which cost $4.99 plus a stamp. :|

If a $20 item costs over double because of bank fees, I'd be annoyed.

Good luck with moneybookers. I'm eager to hear how they turn out.

I got an email from them yesterday (real human support on a weekend, this is good). They told me I should ring my bank, and they'll be able to tell me the transaction figure in EUR. Failing that, they will accept "a scanned copy of your paper monthly card statement showing your full name, part of the card number, date, amount, currency and Moneybookers details and will manually verify your card."

Sounds good to me. I'll call my bank tomorrow.

I've hit a brick wall. I can't verify my bank account, because my bank can't tell me the verification amount in anything but AUD. Which is ridiculous. Seems like Moneybookers.com is only good for Europe/UK. Damn.

Back