Most Advanced Shooter (graphically) On Gp2x?

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
Should almost do this per genre, but I'm most interested in shooters ;) (ie: verticals like Tiger Heli, Skyshark, Raiden and so forth, or horizontals like R-Type, Gradius, Parodius, etc.)

I just realized the latest MAMEs can probably run Skyshark (Flying Shark, not Fireshark!) so I'll giv that a whirl. (That was the first arcade cabinet I owned, so it will always have a special place in y heart.. long nights hammering away on that machine with my brother :)

But what is the most advanced graphically?

Someone is going to bring up Dodonpachi I bet..

jeff

skeezix said:
But what is the most advanced graphically?
I am also a fan of shooters.

But your question is a little subjective as "advanced" could mean different things to people.

Most colors? Most objects flying around? Best technical specification of the host machine? :)

I have a particular penchant for the Gradius series.
The original Gradius is fun but get a bit long in the tooth now.
Gradius II is graphically quite nice and should run on MAME4ALL.
BTW - If you have a PS2 - I strongly suggest you get Gradius V for it - it's utterly awesome and keeps that nice retro feel of the original series (unlike Raiden III). For that matter Gradius III and IV on the PS2 are also excellent. But I'm digressing.

On the opposite end of the scale, the least advanced shooter that is lots of fun is Aleste (AKA Powerstrike) for the Sega Master System. Great game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised Slaanesh didn't mention the GP2X port of OpenTyrian which he himself polished to perfection :) Noiz2sa is another shooter that looks and plays really nicely on the GP2X.

Edit: you may want to try Powermanga, too.

This one's pretty.

1944: The Loop Master (CPS2 emu)
z194xoe3.png

The newly released Temper PC-Engine emu has some great shooters too like Gate of Thunder on Turbo CD. While technically not the most advanced graphically compared to some arcade stuff it is still very good. I think the design, playability, and music is great, and the graphics are very good. Certainly worth a try.

CPS2 System has many beautiful Shooters. Mars Matrix or Gigawing, Porgear etc. Other Systems have good ones to (yes, DoDon Pachi of course)

yay for Mars Matrix.. forgot about that one :)

Gradius package for PSP is pretty sweet (has most of the Gradiuii in it) .. but I'm not so much a fan of that sort of 'memorization shooter' as I call them -- maze of shots is cool, but when the only way to play is by memorizing and replaying.. thats not cool. And they're hard as hell :)

Good tips my friends :)

jeff

My favorite on pc engine at the moment is blazing lazers. That one is fun as well. oh and CyberCore!!! Definitly a classic on pc engine as well.

DSR

Give Viewpoint a shot! (mame/neogeo). It's a difficult but great shooter in isometric view:

viewpoin.gif

Yupp, Viewpoint has a great graphic to, "Zaxxon on steroids" :D But I've never seen the 2. Level because of my poor skills. ^^""""

Oh, I wish, there is a "GALAXIAN 3" EMulator: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxian_3 Would be to funny if MAME or another Project could do this...but of course without the Interactive Hardware and Cabinets it's not that "original". I have seen some pix of this game, incredible Stuff for it's time.
EDIT...hey, ther was a PSX Version of this Game? :blink: Wow!

Technically and graphically advanced. I would say silpheed sega mega-cd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RTqMJYXQmo

Last edited by a moderator:
spriggan for pc engine cd looks good and plays great. star parodia is a lot of fun and very colorful. lots of great pc engine shmups out there.

summer carnival 92 recca is impressive considering its a nes game with a lot going on really fast.

on fba2x: truxton 2 looks great and plays great, same with ESP Ra.De. and batsugun.

neo geo: blazing star and pulstar look great.

on mame4all: final star force and v-five though v-five doesn't work with sound in this version.

garden of colored lights got a very nice port and though maybe not "advanced" looks and sounds very nice and is a quality game. came from a shmup-dev competition where a lot of great pc shmups have come.

I love shmups.

I think I like the graphics and gameplay of Progear most of the modern shooters. Bright lovely graphics and furious gameplay. Not very easy though...
Of course nothing beats a game of good old galaga ;)

Back