Movie players shows black screen using tv out connection

sukhi2011

I' just received peca tv out cable,which is really great.

When using vlc,mplayer,gnome,panplayer all show black screen when try to play video using tv out cable.

Does anyone know how to play videos in tv screen.

Can also change it in the setting of most of those players... My only issue with the tv-out script is that it will break the SDL / XV output.. even if you disable the TV out and reboot.. sure X11 works, but it's performance is lower than the SDL/XV output.

I filled out a bug report on this, but most likely will be ignored until more people get TV out cables.

Sigh...

Gnome-Mplayer: Preferences -> Player -> Video Output -> X11

VLC: Tools -> Preferences -> Video -> Output -> Default

Panplayer -- eh not sure

I' just received peca tv out cable,which is really great.

When using vlc,mplayer,gnome,panplayer all show black screen when try to play video using tv out cable.

Does anyone know how to play videos in tv screen.
The problem with this lies in the system internals and how the graphics card does so called "video overlay" (via Xv). This video overlay seems to be kept somewhere in hardware and is put on top of anything. Besides it is not some software thingie rendered to your "normal desktop", it is directly rendered for *one* display device. So, with the current hardware/software situation it is not possible to get Xv (aka video overlay) support work for the pandora screen *and* the tv-out screen at the same time.

In the old days you had the same problem with desktop systems and the tv-out functionality. You had to switch where to display the video overlay. In modern days this changed by switching from hardware units for doing to overlay to having it done more in software (plus in the hardware shaders, but not in dedicated "overlay function blocks") using the so called "textured video". Until something like this is implemented for the pandora you do at least need a script to switch where to display the video overlay. Not sure if/how this is possible. So the only way for the moment is to switch to a display method not using overlay and because of this being more resource intensive. A method like this is eg selecting X11 instead of Xv for video output.

The settngs you gave me for vlc are not right,it gives black screen.

The settings yu gave me VLC: Tools -> Preferences -> Video -> Output -> Default,please check this

for yourself,it shows black screen,is there something missing.

The settngs you gave me for vlc are not right,it gives black screen.

The settings yu gave me VLC: Tools -> Preferences -> Video -> Output -> Default,please check this

for yourself,it shows black screen,is there something missing.

I could be wrong. I did only spend all of 30 seconds looking up what my setting were..

Plus Hotfix 6 was just release.. it's supposed to fix a bit of the tv-out issues.

I'm using hotfix 6, so doesn't look like tv out issues been solved.

The x11 does slow down the videos,so xv was faster and performing better,still x11 is good atleast you can play videos on tv.

I got smplayer,gnome mplayer to work,but vlc no luck,has anyone got vlc to work.

Panplayer is tricky there is no settings.

I should of been more specific that Hot Fix 6 "BETA" was just released.. Hot fix 6 Alpha 4 is what I'm using as well and is broken. When I get time I need to reflash.

I just reflashed to hot fix6 beta and there is no differnece still the same.

Vlc still shows black screen and picodrive still comes in black screen,when game is loaded.

you have to pic the right TV mode there is more than one, lol do you always find things this difficult?

Finds things difficult,no way,this is the easiest connection anyone can do it.

If the firmwares have bug there's nothing i can do about that,we can just tell you about the problems and the dev can resolve the bugs out of the program.

Yes i have tried the correct tv modes inc. s-video and composite none of them work,it's still the same as previous firmware.

Yes there are so many choose from this time around but still no luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll give it a try when I get home.. I'm curious if it really is fixed or not.

Are you saying overclock vlc to 1333mhz but my pandora can only do 1300mhz.

What's overclocking going to,that's only increase speed for a program but it won't help in tv out.

With the new firmware you can't play videos using vlc on tv,mame4all goes back to desktop when game is loaded,minitube menu appears then once you get to video results and play the video it won't play just shows text of video description,so few issues still remain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back