Mp3 Dj Tool?

parodiusuk

Still Fresh
I know there have already been some threads about the possibility of using the pandora for music creation (although, without any solid conclusions...). However, i wanted to ask about mp3 DJ software.
I would like to use the pandora as a portible DJ set up. Plug in a usb sound card, plug in to the house PA, and away we go. Party!
It sounds simple enough, but then again i'm not a programmer. I know that there is some dj mixing software for linux. Is this likely to see the light on the pandora? Or is porting this to the pandora a big job that nobody is likely to undertake?

Hmm try posting this in the Pandora section of the forum, could give you more feedback there

Its totally possible to port the various DJ mixing apps for Linux to the Pandora. I'll be working on this sort of effort as soon as I get my Pandora.

seq24 will probably be my first port, then zynaddsubfx .. ;) Then I'll look at the DJ mixing side of things..

parodiusuk said:
I know there have already been some threads about the possibility of using the pandora for music creation (although, without any solid conclusions...). However, i wanted to ask about mp3 DJ software.
I would like to use the pandora as a portible DJ set up. Plug in a usb sound card, plug in to the house PA, and away we go. Party!
It sounds simple enough, but then again i'm not a programmer. I know that there is some dj mixing software for linux. Is this likely to see the light on the pandora? Or is porting this to the pandora a big job that nobody is likely to undertake?

PS. i posted this by accident in the Wiz forum first. Sorry!
Check angstrom repo for your favorite software.
You won't even need a USB sound card. The line outs on the Pandora will be good enough for everything but HiFi, most likely. Just make sure you get a TV-out cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
rabidpoobear said:
You won't even need a USB sound card. The line outs on the Pandora will be good enough for everything but HiFi, most likely. Just make sure you get a TV-out cable.

he will need a soundcard, you need 2 seperate audio outputs for mixing. one for the pa and one for cueing your next track and matching tempo etc privately in headphones.

gibberish said:
he will need a soundcard, you need 2 seperate audio outputs for mixing. one for the pa and one for cueing your next track and matching tempo etc privately in headphones.
I seem to recall someone (MWeston?) saying that you could change some settings to output separately to the headphone jack and the line out on the aux port, but I can't find it now so I may be crazy.

gibberish said:
... You already have 2 separate outputs. Pulse Audio or ALSA or whatever we're using should be able to handle having different audio going to the headphone and the line-out. If it doesn't, I'll be sad, because I was going to use Pandora for something similar.

torpor said:
Its totally possible to port the various DJ mixing apps for Linux to the Pandora. I'll be working on this sort of effort as soon as I get my Pandora.

seq24 will probably be my first port, then zynaddsubfx .. ;) Then I'll look at the DJ mixing side of things..

That really is fantastics news! I know there'll be loads of people who would love to use the pandora for this kind of thing! You cant play zelda all the time... Well...

rabidpoobear said:
parodiusuk said:

Just curious, why do you say they wont be good enough for HiFi?

Enverex said:
rabidpoobear said:
parodiusuk said:

Just curious, why do you say they wont be good enough for HiFi?
Because the sound card isn't what most people would call an ideal noise-free sound card. It's good, yes, but not good enough so unless you stream media from the Pandora digitally, you won't get that "ultimate sound quality" hifi people talk about.

dflemstr said:
Because the sound card isn't what most people would call an ideal noise-free sound card. It's good, yes, but not good enough so unless you stream media from the Pandora digitally, you won't get that "ultimate sound quality" hifi people talk about.
Just so we're clear, is this the same "ultimate sound quality" that you get from a $500 cable vs a regular $20 cable, or is this an actually measurable difference?

WizardStan said:
dflemstr said:
Just so we're clear, is this the same "ultimate sound quality" that you get from a $500 cable vs a regular $20 cable, or is this an actually measurable difference?
Everything is measurable. But no, I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Enverex said:
The audio quality of the device was one of the main aspects MWeston was making sure was amazing so I'd be surprised if this was the case...
He made sure it would be excellent quality for a single person using the speakers or headphones, and possibly through the TV. I highly doubt he had $5000+ stereo equipment in mind when chips were chosen. :p
On the other hand, I would hope that a $5000 stereo system would be capable of smoothing out any minor kinks a very-good-but-not-quite-perfect audio chip would have.

WizardStan said:
Enverex said:
The audio quality of the device was one of the main aspects MWeston was making sure was amazing so I'd be surprised if this was the case...
He made sure it would be excellent quality for a single person using the speakers or headphones, and possibly through the TV. I highly doubt he had $5000+ stereo equipment in mind when chips were chosen. :p
On the other hand, I would hope that a $5000 stereo system would be capable of smoothing out any minor kinks a very-good-but-not-quite-perfect audio chip would have.
stereo systems DJs use aren't all that high quality, they're just LOUD. depending on the kind of music.

After seeing Moldover's custom rig in action, I think the Pandora could make an awesome little controllerist device.

You've got 10 simultaneous buttons, a full keyboard of (one-at-a-time) buttons, 2 analog inputs (using the joysticks as dials, perhaps?) and a touchpad (screen). While you couldn't do everything he can do on his setup, there's a lot of flexibility there to do some clever stuff.

Back