MP3 Playback

orangemapped

Still Fresh
Website
www.orangemapped.co.uk
Hey all, (yet again)

At the moment I'm using my GP32 for all the retro goodness on offer, but I thought about setting it up so that it will run MP3s. But, I've been having a problem.

The very first MP3 I put on was using PC Link, obviously on the PC, round at a mates.
From then on, I've been using my mac to upload everything onto my GP32.
But, I tried uploading more MP3s tonite...

...and it doest work.

Okay, I made sure that the filenames were all 8.3 chars.
They are all ID tagged up (using iTunes)
And, at 192 bit rate (i think).

So, technically it should work.

I have the built in MP3 player, which lists the MP3s twice (!) but it doesnt show times, and just makes the GP32 freeze when you try to play them.
And the offical GP32 firmware MP3 player by Team K2yaa freezes when it tries to load from the MP3 folder.

So, any solutions? :unsure:
(apart from having to use a pc to upload mp3s)

Reduce the bitrate of those mp3s, its a game system not a recording studio. 128 should suffice.

Also use the mp3 basket in the pc link software to transfer mp3s ..

Mofokubik posted on Aug 10 2003 said:
reduce the bitrate of those mp3s, its a game system not a recording studio. 128 should suffice.
Sure thing. I did wonder if that was the problem.
And, I'll get on that tomorrow.

also use the mp3 basket to tranfer the mp3s..
but being on a mac, doesnt that pose the problem of not having MP3 Basket.

would using MP3 Basket make that much difference anyway? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
nah its just useful for renaming and checking files etc. I always use pc link to copy the files into the mp3 folder. mp3 basket is good tho if u like the slow transfer

Not sure about mac. I dont have one and dont plan on getting one. The mp3 basket in the pc link software tells you if there is something wrong with an mp3 file before you send it, not only that it sends in the right order and you can edit mp3 tags with it. We could use a program that will take any media you throw at it and encode to mp3, and edit tags/fix problems. I think it would be a usefull tool.

As shotaway pointed out, its not a problem with the bitrate.
I just changed the bit rate of a few MP3s to 128, and loaded them on.
And its still doing the same.

One thing I thought of, the ID tags...
...what version is supported?

I mean, if I'm loading up MP3s with ID3 tags, when it only supports v1, that could be the problem. :huh:

I'll try that, but still, I'm open to suggestions...

Problem solved. YEY!

The MP3s I was uploading had a certain version of ID3 tag.
The GP32 cannot support this version.

I had to knock the tag version down to one.
(if this makes sense)

So basically, the later versions of ID3 tags have far more options (like CD artwork to display) which the GP32 obviously cant cope with.

Thanks for the help anyway. B)

orangemapped posted on Aug 10 2003 said:
And the offical GP32 firmware MP3 player by Team K2yaa freezes when it tries to load from the MP3 folder.
Did I read somewhere (Or maybe it's just me going mad!) that there was an updated? version that allowed the MP3 player to be used under Wind-Ups?

If not, just ignore me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back