Mplayer Neo

NinjaFae

Still Fresh
Just posted about this as a passing comment elsewhere on the board, however thought I'd ask here if anyone is able to.

Mplayer is fine and good as it is, but would be nicer if it supported more codecs. Is it possible that some coder out there can make a newer version that supports plugin support for new codecs. That is, can mplayer be released in a working format, that plays all its current files, but support the ability for someone to, say, port over a cinepak codec (bad example I know), that would then be utilised by Mplayer for decoding cinepak films?

Not saying it would be easy, but I imagine that with this sort of support in mplayer, the onus for codec support could then shift to us, and those who can code, to port the codecs to the device.

I think codecs will be a problem anyway mplayer relies on Windows dlls for man of the codecs. This is fine on an x86 machine but useless for arm. I had the same problem with Sparc Linux.

Don't they have to release it? (please don't kick me for asking this stupid question ;D )

Don't they have to release it? (please don't kick me for asking this stupid question ;D )

Technically yes, but apparantly, and this is rumoured, so i'm not sure if it's true...it contains DivX code or something that wasn't developed by them, but instead taken out of something else. Hence why it hasn't been released to the public.

Sounds like court case material if you ask me...

The community is still waiting for the source for MPlayer, which is believed to have proprietary DivX code interwoven in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gp2x#GPL

Last edited by a moderator:
Back