Multi-format Game Music Player?

Jarska333

What do you want?
Website
Visit site
Yes, there are some players out there, but unified one would be... neat.

http://www.slack.net/~ant/nes-emu/

"I have written several libraries to assist with video game sound emulation, from basic band-limited synthesis to complete emulation and synthesis of music files. They are written in reasonably-portable C++ under the GNU Lesser General Public License."

"Game_Music_Emu is a collection of modules for building a game music file player; just add a user interface and sound driver.

* Can be used to make a multi-format or single-format player
* Supports Nintendo NSF, GameBoy GBS, Sega Master System VGM (PSG sound chip only), Sega Genesis GYM, and Super Nintendo SPC
* Effects module adds adjustable panning, echo, and reverb
* Modular structure allows elimination of unneeded features
* Includes efficient NES, GameBoy, and SNES SPC-700 CPU cores"

What ya think?

Damn, I'm surprised nobody has posted a "can't be done", "we have one of those allready" post...

Does not the music in these games we play with GP32 interest people? Even to the point of "good idea"?

I would like to see this player. I've been collecting games music files for the last month or so and it would be neat to be able to put them on my GP. :)

I use plug-ins to winamp to play them so maybe someone could add the nessesary code to an existing media player on the gp?

I got some game music of Genesis games from Zophar :)

I actually heard of some emulators for the GP32 can play the music files for the respective system but I don't remmember which ones so the GP32 is definately powerful enough.

I developed the library on an old 120MHz PowerMac and tuned the code for it, so it should work well with an ARM processor. I was able to run a player in real-time on a really old 66MHz PowerMac, with SPC and GYM pushing the limit since they require more CPU than the other formats.

Kode54 has recently released a Foobar2000 plug-in based on Game_Music_Emu, in case you want to evaluate the quality and performance of the library's playback on a Windows PC: http://www.saunalahti.fi/cse/kode54/index.php?v

I can provide assistance with the library if someone starts writing a player. The library is written to allow compressed formats to be handled on the user side, so there's nothing preventing support in a player.

I can provide assistance with the library if someone starts writing a player. The library is written to allow compressed formats to be handled on the user side, so there's nothing preventing support in a player.

Very cool :)
You could offer this in the Dev section of these boards or at #gp32dev on EFNet.
Surely you'll find someone who wants to do this :)

Would be could if released as Slubman FW Plugin :)

Last edited:
Alright, since no programmer seems to be much interested, I might as well give it a shot. :D

However, I'd like some advice, from anyone actually doing coding for the GP...
Since I don't actually know any C or anything, would something like this be good (relatively easy?) "do as you learn" project? Just port the modules, ad a simple player and sound engine, and thats that?
Where can I get the dev tools for GP?
Any good sources for info on C, C++? Good books? C++ For Dummies?
Is the Crap Compo still open? :p

I got some game music of Genesis games from Zophar :)

I actually heard of some emulators for the GP32 can play the music files for the respective system but I don't remmember which ones so the GP32 is definately powerful enough.

OpenSNES plays SPC files but they seem to play a bit glitchy sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or maybe a cool release of the great SC68 player form ben/ovr on
the GP32 ? All sources code are available on
http://sc68.atari.org

Amiga exotic format and atari st (sc68 & sndh) player.

Lets just stop with Multi format music player. We have several module players, several mp3 players, and several ogg players, but none that plays both.

"Lets just stop with Multi format music player. "

Stop? :huh:

Notsofatso is indeed great. :D

See, one could fit hours and hours (even days and days...) of music into a 64M card...

Back