• Yes

Votes: 24 70.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Don't really care

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters

Dragons_Slayer said:
@ JavaJake: I would like to keep it singleplayer, because it's easier to program (I think) and because I really want to make a singleplayer game for the pandora that can still be played for a long time. I would call it a MSORPG (Massive Singleplayer Offline RPG :p). But things like planting seeds (or other things) is a good idea, and some sort of way to get new items via expansion plug-ins.

Because I can't really decide what time this game would take place I thought of some sort of Time Vortex system. This is something like a worldmap (in mode-7 :D) where you can fly around and have different portals to different locations. This way I can easily make new worlds to travel to. I could make a fantasy/medieval world, a modern time world, future world, maybe even a post-apocalytic world? What do you guys think of that?
à la Chrono Trigger? Nice idea, but it has to be well-handled so that quests don't create reality/time paradoxes :p
It would be very neat btw to have some kind of online interactivity, even if it's just the ability to send people mail in-game or something (well that would actually suck but you know what complexity level I'm aiming at here)

Doesn't necessarily have to be time travel. Could be alternate universe, or even just different planets (eg: Stargate)

Yeah just wanted to say that, it's more like different worlds/dimensions. And about the Online interactivity, something simple like sending messages with items attached or even voicechat will you are exploring (via some sort of multifunctional gadget you have), yeah I like the idea of a gadget, that would be easily upgraded too with new taps to choose from, reminds me of Pokemon Gold and Silver where you had a Radio, Cellphone, map,... in one device (PokeGear) :p

Dragons_Slayer said:
Yeah just wanted to say that, it's more like different worlds/dimensions. And about the Online interactivity, something simple like sending messages with items attached or even voicechat will you are exploring (via some sort of multifunctional gadget you have), yeah I like the idea of a gadget, that would be easily upgraded too with new taps to choose from, reminds me of Pokemon Gold and Silver where you had a Radio, Cellphone, map,... in one device (PokeGear) :p
Ah I see, however the issue of reality paradoxes remains, at least if you have cross-"world" quests...

Anyways, please don't use the term "dimension" here, it's worlds we're talking about (hopefully, unless you want some really weird 4D space with a 2D time continuum world that you could teleport to :p)

I meant dimension in the meaning of a parallel world, a world was like ours but because something different happened in the past it is not the same anymore, I think you know what I'm talking about. but don't worry it's not like you will meet your other self in a different world, is just different places with each a different theme.

So it's Chrono Cross style now? Interesting...
Anyway, I agree it should be made simple enough like just being able to explore other worlds. (or planets for that matter.)

I forget what fiction it was in, but there was a parallel universe jumping story I had read where it was impossible to jump to another universe to meet yourself there because the way that jumps worked in that story, two worlds that were that similar were just too close together, Quantum Mechanically speaking. Assuming that every choice creates a split in the possible realities, the jump device had a "Minimum range" (determined by the Quantum Mechanics, not by an artificial regulator) of quantum possibilities it could jump across. This "Minimum Jump" also determined the "Coarseness" of the device's capability, so that you couldn't jump to an alternate universe, and then jump back a few quantum realities out of step with your origin, every jump had to be a multiple of some trillions of quantum realities.

One of those alternate universes needs to be "Gaslamp Fantasy" (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/index.php) because Victorian-era steam robots are cool.

(and if you haven't read Phil and Kaja Foglio's work: Get reading!)

I already thought about a steampunk-ish world, I also know the Girl Genuis comic although I haven't read them completely. Clockpunk with some fantasy/magic elements could be cool too.

some hours ago I played the demo of a game called Braid, and I was amazed by it's graphics, for people who don't know how this game looks, here a screenshot:

braid01.jpg

I wonder if I could do something similar for my game, instead of using tilemaps I could make every place 1 big beautiful piece of artwork! here 2 examples of some digital artwork I did, the first one is from almost 4 months ago, and the second is my latest using a new technique for the coloring (only the first one represents something more or less suitable for a game location):

paintinga.jpg

portret.jpg

Beautiful artwork, especially your avatar image.

A lot of 2d games are going the artwork route with an invisible underlayer of bounding-box objects to determine walkable space and object/event placement. The gameplay has the classic 2D feel, but with a much more artistic appearance.

Back