Multiventure (rpg Project) - Discussion Topic

looks pretty good.

for collision you just need a seperate 2-or-more color bitmap
a simple 2 color bitmap would do for basics, but a few extra colors can be used for a fabe 'behind' effect, etc.

Dude. Don't turn this into one of those depressing post apocoliptic games. Set it in a fantasy/medieval world. Just my 2 cents...

Game looks GREAT.

looks pretty good.

for collision you just need a seperate 2-or-more color bitmap
a simple 2 color bitmap would do for basics, but a few extra colors can be used for a fabe 'behind' effect, etc.
for collision that will work fine but it will be a bit more difficult for the behind-effect, because with most things you can go behind you can also be on top, like the fences. when there is a collision hit with the hero and the behind-mask I could check the position of that hit and compare it with the position of the hero (the position of the hero's feet) to determine if it's on top or behind.

@midna25: Don't worry, with my idea of having different worlds there can be a post-apocalyps world but if you don't like it you just don't visit that world and stay in the fantasy or the modern world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are some really nice graphics, and would make a very good point and click adventure/ isometric rpg. The only problems I can foresee are getting behind scenery and collisions, but most of those can be tackled with a little bit of hard coding and cutting the image up a little bit (or use some complex blit-masks to tell the engine when they should be drawn on top or underneath).

If you find yourself a dedicated coder and get a good plot, you could sell this as a game. I know I would pay for it.

Thanks :) I'm glad you like it. you're right, I will surely need some programmer(s) to help me, I'm thinking of writing a new engine instead of using an existing one, an engine simular to the one I use at school but using SDL instead of Win32 (and for that I will need help for sure).

and about selling the game, like I said before:

It would be less awesome if you had to pay for it, so to make it as cool as possible, It will be 100% free, and that's a promise!

I made a better version of the previous sketch, I think this is how I want it to be (in terms of style), of course it will be in color for the game. here it is, the art itself and again viewed on an Archos:

multiventureresu.jpg

multiventurearchod.jpg

Oh yeah, that looks great. I love adventure / rpg games with a cool, unique, artsy style. (Just as long as it's not over-the-top, which this one isn't).

I would prefer a good linear storyline to a open-world approach and as far as pricing goes, just make it donation based, i.e. pay whatever you want or nothing.

Also, don't get too ambitious, it's a lot better to have a shorter more linear game with high interactivity and interesting gameplay and compelling story, than to have a large world with less stuff in it.

my idea is actually quite ambitious, but dont worry, as I said I will start off with one world, the fantasy world. with a main quest good for a few hours of gameplay. Later I can make more world if I want but only when the first one is completed. Now that you're talking about a good story, I think I already have an idea :D

Have you already decided what language/graphics library you are going to use?
I would recommend using python and pygame with pyopengl. I personally find it much easier and faster to program in python than in c++. Pygame is "a set of Python modules designed for writing games." it uses SDL. Pyopengl is a python wrapper for opengl. I know pyopengl is a 3d graphics library but it can be used for 2d games also. In 2d it would let you do things like tint, rotate, and scale multiple large images in real time, So, for example it would be very easy to make a zoom out feature that allows you to smoothly zoom out as far as you want using opengl. if you don't need or want this functionality then you could just use pygame on its own. I have some experience with pygame and pyopengl (I have some python codes lying around that set up a pygame/pyopengl window and draw some animated sprites) and I'd gladly help with the coding if you decide to use pygame.
Anyway I just wanted to put in my 2 cents, I'm sure whatever the game ends up being programmed in it'll be a ton of fun to play.

I was thinking of using Penjin (PokeParadox's engine), The only program language I have written in so far is C++ and because I want to do some programming myself too (although I'm just a beginner) I think I'm going to stick with that. But thanks for the information and glad you wanted to help.

As some people already know, I'm going to make a minigame for Pandora Panic. It's going to be a test for Multiventure, to learn Penjin programming and to try doing hand drawn graphics. I will start this game when I come home from vacation (where I am at the moment, without a laptop, with my Archos in my room, I found an unsecured wifi hotspot :p ). So more news when I'm back this Friday.

It will be called ArenaFight. A swordfight against a bunch of enemies in Zelda on gameboy/snes style. The fighting in Multiventure will also be like this.

Just wanted to say that this project is not dead, I've been busy working on my Minigame, which is in playable state already (though, not with hand-drawn graphics. Thanks to PokeParadox, there is now a CollisionMap feature in Penjin so collision will not be a problem any more and in the meantime I learned programming in the engine. If I wanted I could start programming now but I won't. I first want the idea to be good, and while working on that I will be doing the graphics for "Wandor" (working title) by Foxblock and co.

I could tell alot more as I have a bunch of ideas but I will tell about them later, Hope you guys still interested!

You might want to look at the GemRB project, a reverse engineering of the Infinity Engine that powered Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. The project is not perfect at running the original games yet, but it might work okay for a game targeted for it.

In particular the engine is based on large background images, rather than tilesets, and it would mean you could focus on making content, which you are clearly highly talented at.

Obviously these games have a very specific style, and there may be many limitations in the engine that stop you doing what you want with the game.
Not least the character model is built around D&D, which is rather different to most modern computer RPGs, and somewhat confusing for people not used to it.
I'm not sure how practical it would be to use that model in a way which suits you, or even replace it, but I think it's worth a look nonetheless.

Back