Music For Your Games

mr_lou

Still Fresh
Website
www.dewfall.dk
Hy

I just won the auction of a used GP2x, so looking forward to checking it out when it arrives in the mail this week. I'm a Java ME games creator myself, but am not planning on doing games for the GP2x though. But I've noticed some of you developers sometimes need music for your homebrew games, and I might be able to help with that.

I used to do MOD files back in the good old days, and those files can still be downloaded from my site. (I was actually made aware of this site by another GP2x games creator who wrote me about one of my MODs).
If you need music for your game, and find a MOD file at my page you like, feel free to use it in your game (but write me first).
If the GP2x can use MIDI files also, I also have some of those available - also free for freeware games.

Otherwise I can recommend developers to start up your IRC client, connect to irc.esper.net and visit #modarchive. In there you'll find many musicians still very capable of doing MODs, and many of them (afaik) would like to do music for freeware games, and many of them already have a bunch of MODs lying around.

P.S.: I've been searching the forum a bit for "stuff that's good to know for a newbie", but can't seem to find much. I've stumbled across some posts about battery problems and such, but they were very old posts. Are such problems still there? What do I need to know as a GP2x newbie? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings Mr Lou,
So here's my public thanks for the use of one of your modfiles in my game - I have had little time to work on things since we last emailed (work xmas parties and stuff), but am still hopeful for a beta release before xmas..
Hope the gp2x is a good investment for you (else I'll feel a bit guilty :)).
Kev

Free music is something in very short supply around here, thanks very much. I will certainly be looking through your stuff in the next few weeks, as I will need music for a new port of mine. Thanks again

Sphinxter said:
I'm looking for some pd banjo or fiddle music loops of the country and western variety, anything reminiscent of, "yellow rose of texas", or, "streets of laredo", bonus if it reminds you of the movie, "Deliverance".
I don't have any of that, but try irc://irc.esper.net/modarchive and ask around. Maybe someone has something lying around they'll let you use.

Most musicians are willing to let you use their music for free if your game is freeware. Same goes for me. But some tracks might have been used in productions already, so always write me first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back