Must have`s for a new GP32 ?

sabal

Still Fresh
Hi guys!

At first i will say that im sorry for my englisch, because im from Austria!

I have ordered a GP32 from Lik sang and in few days it´ll be here.

There are so many different Tools, Programms and Games, so i hope somebody in this great forum can help me.

At first the Firmware:

I´ve heard that there are different firmwares which you can flash onto your GP32.
What firmware do you prefer?
The original firmware which is already installed on the GP32 or the Multifirmware?
Are there any Pro & Contras?

Then im searching for:

The best nes emulator?
The best snes emulator?
The best PC Engine emulator?

Please write me which emu the best in every category:)
And are there any other emus for other consoles which are very good?

Then i need some good Games:

I think i will buy Tomak and this Pinnball Game at first.
But i´ve heard there are also hundrets of freewaregames.

Which freewaregames are very good and absolutely must haves?

Im specially searching for a good oldschool 2d Shooter like Gradius.

And which other tools like a text viewer, mp3 programs, file manager and so on do you prefer?

Many thanks to all helpfull answers, sabal :)

Firmware:
IMHO MutiFW is the best, but if you flash FW, and something goes wrong, you have a $150 (or $200) paperweight ;) Use fresh battries (or recharged rechargables that have been used a few times to make sure they are using their full capacity) Goto www.faq.gp32emu.com for a guide on flashing FW.

Best Emus:
NES - Little John GP
SNES Snes9xGP
PCEngine - GPEngine

Good Free Games:
GPChess (I made it so of course it is the best game ;) )
Stopwith
Pang
GLooP (free version, the next one might be buy)
Slyro the Radioactive Cat (very addictive)
Falldown (addictive, too)
GPDoom
(everything else I 4got to put)

Good Buy Games:
Mill (Very hard lang barrier, and you might not get past first level, but then its fun)
Kimichi Men
GPCine (actually a movie player)
Pinball Dreams
NOT Rally Pop, it is the worst game in the world)
(these are all the buy games I have, so others might be good, too)

Best Utillities:
Text Editor - Morning Coffe'
File Manager GPFM

Start with that, and you'll see lots of other good things on the way, too :)

Thank you very much guys :)

Another Question:

Which Console/Handheld which the GP32 can emulate has the best graphic performance?

It would be very nice if someone can write down the best games for the NES and the SENS. Im also searching for a good Tennis Game for the NES/SNES.

Thanks, sabal

sabal the best nes/snes games can be found at any number of sites... just go to www.google.com and do a search for 100 best snes or nes and there you have it.. :p

If you mean best that work with the emulators than stick with the smaller snes roms until the emulator gets a little quicker. And as for little john, nes games mostly work without a problem. save for like ice climber, clu clu land, and trojan and some oldies.

have fun

sabal posted on Aug 15 2003 said:
Thank you very much guys :)

Another Question:

Which Console/Handheld which the GP32 can emulate has the best graphic performance?

It would be very nice if someone can write down the best games for the NES and the SENS. Im also searching for a good Tennis Game for the NES/SNES.

Thanks, sabal
You should have bought Her Knights. Everybody raves about that game. Don't buy little wizard, rally pop, or gp fight. Best NES Games Best SNES games

Last edited by a moderator:
In terms of games, there is no best. Its all about personal preference.

...and just so nobody forgets, GPcinema is great for watching videos on your GP32.

Oh yeah, and a firmware upgrade is optional. I still use the old gp firmware..

Vollgasasi posted on Aug 15 2003 said:
why is another firmware better than the original one? does it change anything?

Yep, take PacRom (which is also included in MultiFW), for example:

You don't have to start Freelauncher first.
That's best about it :)
You can put your programs whereever you like (except the data folders, but that's not that bad).

So, I have a folder EmulSoft on my SMC, where all the emulators reside.
Another folder Games, where all the games reside, etc.

And it remembers the last program started, so you just have to switch it on press A to start your favourite program (you can even use autostart to automatically start a program on the SMC whenever you turn on the GP32 :)

The bad thing about it is that some programs only run using the original firmware
(only ones I've found are commercial ones like Super Plusha, Pinball Dreams, Mill, Moviepark (GPCinea works)).

But with MultiFW you can always change to the original firmware, so this isn't really a problem :)

Last edited:
Back