My Cars New Fold Out Lcd Screen

Steve-O

Finally bought a LCD Screen for my car and it kicks ass

first thing I had to do was remove the old headunit.
then remove the front and back seats and lift the carpet.
then I had to run the wires from the front of the car to the boot where the Brain / Main unit is kept and then I had to put all the seats etc back in.

Took 6 hours to install but it was worth it

Looks like a normal car CD Player but then press a button and the screen slides out and tilts up PLUS its touch screen and has animated menus etc

currently I have a CDChanger, MiniDisc Changer, TV Tuner and PS2 / Any AV Video source hooked up to it

heres a list of the stuff you can attach -

CDChanger
Mini Disc Changer
DVD Changer
TV Tuner
Digital TV Tuner
Digital Radio Tuner
Sat Nav
BlueTooth
CCTV Camera
Reverse camera
Dolby Digital Sound Processor unit
Plus more :D

Pics of the car in bits half way through install -

Looks like a normal CD player :)

Switched on, Flash off

Screen out

TV Tuner, Who Wants to be a Millionaire

btw, TV Tuner looks much clearer than that.. Its just I had No Flash on the camera and it was a moving image... If I used the flash it would have been sharper but I would have got reflection from the flash etc :)

Download the videos of it here in this Zip folder -

http://rapidshare.de/files/34195422/TV.zip.html

Oh yea its in my Mercedes 190E (some pics if you havent saw it yet but imagine it 1 - 2 inchs lower) -

p10011283ro.jpg

p10011252rr.jpg

p1001123a4gu.jpg

this is what it looked like before I started work on it (No shine Dull faded white look with big patch on the door and no rear spoiler etc) :) -

1a.JPG

Now I need to buy a GP2X and TV Cable to make my Car into a Arcade machine :D...

I'm not trying to poop on your enthusiasm, but why do you need an LCD screen in your car? Wouldn't this be a serious drain on the batteries too?

doesnt realy drain the battery at all... had it running for 30mins with the engine off and it didnt affect the battery charge at all :)

LCD Screen is useful for lots of things eg Sat Nav and it looks good. Plus you might think its a waste of money but its not realy as I will be having it forever and putting it in my next cars etc (Like a one off buy for life ;) ) :)

Nice, plus a manual gearbox mercedes, they are a rare breed indeed.

How much did the lcd kit cost? Does it support all the usual mp3, wma, ogg, video etc?

Mind - BMW put LCD's in their cars from 1995 as an option with satnav, music and TV, standard in the 750 :)

Not that i'm in the BMW camp or anything ;p

craigix posted on Oct 1 2006 at 01:37 PM said:
Nice, plus a manual gearbox mercedes, they are a rare breed indeed.

How much did the lcd kit cost? Does it support all the usual mp3, wma, ogg, video etc?

Mind - BMW put LCD's in their cars from 1995 as an option with satnav, music and TV, standard in the 750 :)

Not that i'm in the BMW camp or anything ;p

Got the package used off a friend at work for £300 which was such a good price I couldnt saw no especially after I say the prices on the net!!! -

Head Unit -

http://www.1st-car-audio-and-stereo.co.uk/...18R_CE_NET.html

MiniDisc Changer -

http://www.dcdezign.com/details.asp?item=m...mp;vehicle_ref=

CD Changer -

http://www.dcdezign.com/details.asp?item=c...angers+cdc1255z

TV Tuner -

http://www.clarionworld.co.uk/stock/ttx7502z.asp

over £2,600 worth of stuff!!!!

The LCD's fitted to the older BMW's like in the 7 arent as sharp / clear as this, this is like as clear as the screen in the newer shape BMW's eg the new shape 5 Series... Plus the older BMW's used a Square 4:3 screen didnt they? this is a Widescreen 16:9... Also, This is touch screen

Unfortunatly it doesnt support MP3 / video but If I buy the Clarion DVD Player / changer for it then I can play MP3's and films on it... technically any DVD Player hooked upto it via the AV will allow me to play MP3's and video but I would liek to get the Clarion CeNet DVD Player so I can control it via the Touch Screen :)

Goity posted on Oct 1 2006 at 01:16 PM said:
You Chav!

Please explain how ;)

Was thinking of hooking a computer up to it :)

Oh yea and the car is a 1991 Mercedes 190E, One of the Best model Mercedes out their in my opinion as It has a Proper Hand brake and is manual, not like the newer Mercs that are usually all Autos and use a little pedal that you push with your foot as a hand brake and a leaver you pull to release it...

Last edited by a moderator:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Oct 1 2006 at 03:51 PM said:
Looks good, and very nice car! :)

The main problem with mercs is the electrics I think, had a '91 300 (auto with the foot parking break) was really fast, probably faster than the bmw 3 litre, but bloody hell did the electrics let it down - although in the end the gearbox died at 250,000!

On the old mercs and beemers i'd have to side with the M20 525ise auto from BMW, I have 2 of them, both at 250,000 miles, both 1989 models - original head and original gearbox in both, amazing engine. Not quick off the mark, but get to 90mph stick the cruise control on - it's at 3000rpm and silky smooth and quiet.

One is on LPG and the other is still on petrol. Excellent options too (still have more toys than 90% of new cars).

Looks like you are looking after your merc mind, i had a mint full electric leather interior in the garage for one of those until 2 weeks ago - you could have had it for free if i'd known.

Any more mods planned?

Not realy got any mods planned yet as Im saving to buy a Toyota MR2 Turbo Mk2. Unfortunaly the Insurance companies dont seem to want to give me a quote on one seen as Im only 19 ;)... Cheapest quote I got for a MR2 Turbo was on my Mums insurance at £2,800 !!! On my own it was £4,950!!! LOL No way will I pay that sort of price so sticking with the Merc till Im 21 when the prices will go down :)

Currently the engine and gearbox is all the standard one from factory when it was put in 15 years ago and it has now covered 189,564 Miles and still runs as new :D

Also Their is no rust on it at all :D

German cars have to be the best for reliability etc

Another good thing is even if it does die on me, it only cost £500 :)

Damn, you should have advertised the interior on here as your only about 1 hour drive from me so I could have came and picked it up :( Its ok, my current blue cloth interior is Mint, no marks on it at all :D

Was driving the new BMW 335i Twin Turbo Coupe today and its Amazing!!! If you get the chance you have to go out in one :D

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Oct 2 2006 at 06:21 PM said:
dude, i would have never guessed you were pretty much my age....I always thought you were like in your 30's :lol: ;)

same as
i havnt bothered with driving lessons yet :( and theres no where to drive to anyway in leamington spa :(
back on topic, nice work with the car, all you need now is a few more pointless accessories to make it look bling hehe.

I would try to get lessons and pass ASAP just incase they bring this new idea of a minimum of 1 years lessons before you can take your test

Steve-O posted on Oct 2 2006 at 06:49 PM said:
I would try to get lessons and pass ASAP just incase they bring this new idea of a minimum of 1 years lessons before you can take your test

i was thinking about starting soon.
i didnt start because first lack of money and the fact i didnt see any where i could drive. but i will probably need a car some time next year. so if all goes well, in the next month i should be doing a lesson a week. insurance will hopefully be less by then aswell, if only i was a girl...
seriously though, i hate it, when insurrers see your car on paper... pimped up old merc, they must instantly think STREET RACER and slap you loads of insurance. i mean, mayby you do street race, but if you dont, its just a bit harsh

I would never street race. Not worth it. If you get caught then you will most likely loose your licence.

Technically the Merc hasnt realy been modified. Only things different are the wheels and exhaust (Rear spoiler I added is a standard Mercedes part so cant realy be classed as a modification)

Costs £800 a year on my Mums insurance (Me as a named driver) and I will get a years no claims discount at the end of it :D... Would have cost £1800 for me to insure the car alone!!!..

Will cost me £4,950 to insure a MR2 Turbo, Filled it out again but for my mum to insure it on her own and it was only £245 !!!!

I used to have the same problems, until i got trade cover. I can drive any car at any time and I pay around £1100. You will have to pretend you deal in cars, but it is worth it.

I got that when I was about 23 and never looked back, since then i've had loads of real muscle cars.

7 litre cadillac, 7.4 litre GMC pickup, 5.4 litre V12 BMW, 4.4 BMW.

I just put my sister on it for her 21st birthday, she has got herself a 4.4 litre V8 BMW now.

Awesome. And as you know here in the UK muscle cars are dead cheap because people are afraid of the costs of looking after them. I've seen V12 BMWs for £500. That is a fucking supercar it can do 185mph unmodded - 200mph if you lighten it up. It has the same engine as the mclaren F1 - for £500!

I think the best mod you can make is fitting an LPG kit, then you can get your fuel for 37p a litre. I've been on LPG for 7 years (since I passed my test infact).

Toyota twin turbos and FTOs are ridiculously cheap now in the UK :)

I've got to settle for the moment with a Dodge Stratus (pretty nippy when it wants to be) while I'm here on business on the west coast US. Hopefully I'll get a turbo'd Mazda Familia when I get started down in NZ in a months time.

I have that Trade cover thing at work (thats how I get to drive M3's, M5's, M6's, 4.8 X5's 750's etc etc at work on the roads :D )

Might look into getting it for myself :)

Was driving a V12 750iL today (was the older 1998 sort of shape). Had Every single option that was available at the time eg, Heated Front and Rear cream leather seats, Electric Front and Rear Seats, Rear foot rests, rear Air Con, Front air con, Telephone, TV Screen with Sat Nav, Electric rear blind, Side Blinds, Bullet Proof Glass!! + Much more!! Cost £95,000 when new, now its only worth £13,000!!! goes to show how much value the 7 series loose! The seats were so soft and comfy you could just fall a sleep in them... Heck I think I could even live in a 7 Series with all the space they have and features :). Was even thinking of buying it my self as their was no marks at all inside or out, looked new and only did 35,000 miles with full service history..

Back