My console questions

in3D

I'm thinking about designing a clam shell console while waiting for reactOS to leave alpha/beta so that I can get to work on Axerola OS. Here's the specs that I've already thought of:

CPU: VIA Nano 3000 L3600(?)

Co-processor: Philips 68070(?)

Media: BD/DVD/CD drive

Now I know you all are x86 haters, but I've already decided for sure that the cpu will be x86-64. Also, I chose the Philips 68070 because I need it to be backward compatible with CD-i.

My question is how do I use the co-processor in my linux based os?

Last edited by a moderator:
'nother post just to put this back at the top :p

huh. thought that would work...

just log into our irc channel, and ask a fella named aTc for help. he's a very insightful fella. could be just the person youre lookin for

x86 haters

lots of people are not x86 hater, the problem is that we still miss affordable and low power/heat generation x86 to be embedded in something...

Do you realize your processor is rated at 500mW when idle? that's huge...

any x86 processor in the same frequency range would grand much better performance using wine to run desktop application/game than any fancy eight core ARM chip using qemu...

The clamshell bit makes it sound like it's going to be portable, but the DVD drive makes it sound like a TV-based console. Which is it?

The clamshell bit makes it sound like it's going to be portable, but the DVD drive makes it sound like a TV-based console. Which is it?

hum, is the CD trapdoor of an old PSX sufficient to call the machine a clamshell? :D

1. I'm really sorry if I broke a rule with that repost. I didn't think that would work because I was replying my own post.
  2. Yes it is serious, but if you honestly think it's dumb I'll just trash the idea.
  3. It's gonna be a wee bit smaller than a portable dvd player. When open, it will be a portable console. When closed, it will connect to a tv and controllers.
  4. Finally, does anyone know the answer to my question?

The answer is you write a kernel driver. Now I have some questions and comments for you:

1) The creation of a handheld, even just one, costs at least tens of thousands of dollars. Do you have this money?

2) It also requires a lot of engineering experience. Even if you pay other people to do this for you you need at least some idea of who you need to employ.

3) Why use a VIA Nano 3000 when there are a lot of faster, lower power, better integrated etc solutions from AMD or Intel?

2) A Philips 68070 CPU is only one of many chips needed for CD-i compatibility. But why on earth would you want hardware compatibility with CD-i? Setting aside that the system is abysmal, it's also ancient hardware that can be easily be emulated in software on a modern device.

1) No. But I don't plan on making this any time soon. I just thought it would be cool to design a console for now.

2) Yes.

3) I just google-ed "most efficient x86-64 cpu"

2) Well, I want my console to be like a sequel to CD-i (BD-i). I even made a logo, which I will show you if you are trustable. Anyway, the only good CD-i emu isn't free or open source, and I'm not deving my own emu.

Lastly, tell me more about this "kernel driver" you speak of...

^^^^^ what exophase said.
+ another 1 and just wait until Craig finds out u posted this in " his house " even though Though this is technicaly ED's cite also I actually like the idea of Cdi compabilitie .

Last edited by a moderator:
He means that craig might want to see this forum as his terretory.

Back