My Drawing

SonicTehAwesomeFace

Still Fresh
I have been practicing my art for a few years. By far, my most drawn character is a man (or not) named Zackaro. He's an original character that I drew myself. I have two of his pictures online.

The first one is a facial portrait:

http://sonictehawesomeface.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d34u84c

The second one is a full body version:

http://sonictehawesomeface.deviantart.com/#/d3eywix

And I also wrote a short story about the dreams I've been having which involve him:

http://sonictehawesomeface.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d37bg7y (keep in mind that it's written in a style as if it's currently happening. This is because it's describing what happens in my reoccurring nightmare)

The reason I'm posting this here is because I know that there's a lot of intelligent people on this forum, and I want to know what you all think of my character, and also the art quality.

Thanks!

+1

But I think that it might get better with practice. I don't know about drawing, but isn't the saying for writing that you have to write 10,000 lines of practice before you even start to write good things? I'm not trying to put you down, only encourage you to practice more because it seems like that will help. :)

imho, your shading is ok, outlining...not so much, potential though, keep it up

Well before i rate your drawing or give you feedback - what do you think? Are you happy with your work 100%? Is this in your opinion the best you'll ever achieve?

As an artist myself I can tell you, the hardest critic of your work has to be yourself. Unless you are 100% without a doubt, completely and totally happy with your work. That when you hold it up and compare it to the artist's works you aspire to, that is seems on par if not better - should you put it out there into the world. Otherwise you will feel offended and hurt when everybody doesn't say it is amazing.

i know, because I have been there as an artist. Be harder on yourself. Do what you love doing every minute of your life and strive for excellence - not because you seek approval from others, but because you WANT to be the best at what you love.

peace out.

I'm REALLY bad at drawing, my drawing teacher never considered any of my drawings good
rolleyes.gif
(bad grades!)

But looking at your work I think I can give you a small advice, you should try to learn from bones and muscle anatomy drawings.

This website seems to have quite a good explanation http://www.bakaneko.com/howto/figure/anatomy2/index.html
wink.gif

I hope the comments won't discourage you, because I think that with work and patience, you'll be able to make great artwork.

(My teach never understood that standing beside a student and saying "What are you drawing? It's not good!" is a bit demotivational. That's why I gave up drawing, now I'm only vectorising photo's)

Well before i rate your drawing or give you feedback - what do you think? Are you happy with your work 100%? Is this in your opinion the best you'll ever achieve?

As an artist myself I can tell you, the hardest critic of your work has to be yourself. Unless you are 100% without a doubt, completely and totally happy with your work. That when you hold it up and compare it to the artist's works you aspire to, that is seems on par if not better - should you put it out there into the world. Otherwise you will feel offended and hurt when everybody doesn't say it is amazing.

i know, because I have been there as an artist. Be harder on yourself. Do what you love doing every minute of your life and strive for excellence - not because you seek approval from others, but because you WANT to be the best at what you love.

peace out.
I'm actually very critical of my own work. The only reason that anything get's released on my DeviantART account is because it's of my highest standard (The standard being the best I can currently achieve.). My art teacher isn't the best at what he does. Sure he knows a wide variety of different art styles, but he has low talent, so he can't really express and teach the class how to build on our art talents (Which is why I'm self taught). Seriously: the best I've seen him draw is stick figures. I would really like to draw as good as someone like...say...Masashi Kishimoto (Creator of Naruto), because IMO, 95% of my work is crap, and being like him would be a HUGE step up. The 5% of the time it DOES come out decent is still not enough in my eyes. I still have a lot of stuff to learn, like clothing wrinkles (Well... PROPER wrinkles...), Depth perception, proper shading (Because one of my best pieces used the same shading on all edges, which isn't good.), and how to memorize the shapes of organic beings, like humans and animals. I also can't draw vegetation. So yeah, I basically hate most of my work. I'm already a HUGE critic of my art.

peace out.
I'm actually very critical of my own work. The only reason that anything get's released on my DeviantART account is because it's of my highest standard (The standard being the best I can currently achieve.). My art teacher isn't the best at what he does. Sure he knows a wide variety of different art styles, but he has low talent, so he can't really express and teach the class how to build on our art talents (Which is why I'm self taught). Seriously: the best I've seen him draw is stick figures. I would really like to draw as good as someone like...say...Masashi Kishimoto (Creator of Naruto), because IMO, 95% of my work is crap, and being like him would be a HUGE step up. The 5% of the time it DOES come out decent is still not enough in my eyes. I still have a lot of stuff to learn, like clothing wrinkles (Well... PROPER wrinkles...), Depth perception, proper shading (Because one of my best pieces used the same shading on all edges, which isn't good.), and how to memorize the shapes of organic beings, like humans and animals. I also can't draw vegetation. So yeah, I basically hate most of my work. I'm already a HUGE critic of my art.

peace out.

peace out.

that is what it means to be an artist :) even when you get better you still are never happy LOL

so my feedback is: you have a gift. i can see you have the ability to be a great artist. now find a better teacher or just keep practising by challenging yourself - don't just draw what you feel confident drawing. draw stuff you are scared to draw because it seems so frikin' hard :) then you will find your style and bloom!

post another drawing in 6 months time mate. btw have you done any comics or story boards?

I agree with scorpio, artists are never happy with their work, no matter how good they are
biggrin.gif

The real problem with your character at the moment is the anatomy.

Really, I think you should learn to draw some kind of simple skeleton with basics 3D shapes, then put some "muscles" on those shapes.

wpid-how-to-draw-people03.gif

This really helps drawing believable characters, even cartoons or super deformed ones need this to have some depth.

peace out.
Why did this reply multiply itself?!

I agree with scorpio, artists are never happy with their work, no matter how good they are
biggrin.gif

The real problem with your character at the moment is the anatomy.

Really, I think you should learn to draw some kind of simple skeleton with basics 3D shapes, then put some "muscles" on those shapes.

wpid-how-to-draw-people03.gif

This really helps drawing believable characters, even cartoons or super deformed ones need this to have some depth.

+1 totally agree - all the great artists study anatomy first

In general I'd agree that learning anatomy first is a good idea (the books by Loomis are highly rated for this), although if you wanted to be a little more specific and start seeing results sooner, then I would sugest picking up a book just on facial sctructure (can't think of any off the top of my head).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back