My First 24 Hours With My Gp32...

i can't see how can someone be dumb enough not to check for the latest version of everything. the latest LittleJohn's speed is near fucking perfect.

sorry, but this really pisses me off.

jegHegy posted on Feb 21 2004 at 10:58 PM said:
i can't see how can someone be dumb enough not to check for the latest version of everything. the latest LittleJohn's speed is near fucking perfect.

sorry, but this really pisses me off.
i said in my post i have the freaking latest version of littlejohn. if that pisses you off, too bad

and it's not perfect. i just compared it to pocketnes on the gba running side by side, and it was definitely lagging behind, and all the settings were set to be as fast as possible

Last edited by a moderator:
We are talking about LittleJohn right?? I don't understand whats going on, LittleJohn is perfect for me and i haven't done anything to the settings. I know it runs at 133mhz, but its absolutely fine for me sound and frameskip 0, as for Super mario world, never played it on my GP, i have it for GBA.

Me too. I also tried SMW in opensnes9xgp without sound at 160mhz and I couldn't detect any choppyness at all. Under these conditions, I was able to set the FS to 1 and it ran at a constant 30 fps at 100-101%!

Edit: Hey mustardseed, do you have a camcorder? If you do, could you shoot a video for us of yourself playing SMW at an overclocked state with no sound? Then we can see what you really mean by choppy.

I always prefered little john on frameskip 1 and with that option to fix the invisible blinking sprites (can't remember what its called - 'frameskip plus' or something) set to '4'.

I always found this better than auto imo.

[edit] Oh yeah, Azure, on your sig you used to have a few movie links, I've always been curious what the 'sand' one was. I checked out that ping-pong one a while ago and cracked up.

pubjoe: The sand video was a video of some guy in an auditorium when some sort of projector and sand. He poured sand on the projector, which was projected onto the wall, and he made lots of really cooly things like dragons and he also made a little "love story." The sand drawings actually look unbelievable.

There are like 3 versions of the SMB3 rom from what I can tell I just D/Led the Super_Mario_Bros_3_(U)_(PRG_1) version and all I can see is that the music occasionally slows down just a touch but the game itself it pretty much full speed.

My settings:
240 lines : off
2x sprite limte: off
sound: on
Sound Filter: low
Sound Quality: Medium(22khz=best)
Vsync: off
Video: Normal
Frame skip: 0
Frame Adj: 00%

In littlejohn, there is a 'slight' chop vertically on the screen especially running at full speed in SMB3 but not enough to be a pain during gameplay.

openSnes9x runs mario world 90-100% 18-22fps at frame skip 2 and 150mhz oced

I've also been thinking if you think the PC engine emu is great, which runs at FS1, how come mario is choppy at exactly the same FS?

You have to set the clock speed every time you run opensnes, it does not remember. (V3 does, but its not public yet)

My settings:

166mhz
Fast Sprites on (I don't think this is really needed at FS1, but worth a shot)
FS1

Its silky smooth and constant 100% speed.

If you use a few more of the hacks you can get it perfect at FS0.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Azure posted on Feb 22 2004 at 12:19 AM said:
pubjoe: The sand video was a video of some guy in an auditorium when some sort of projector and sand. He poured sand on the projector, which was projected onto the wall, and he made lots of really cooly things like dragons and he also made a little "love story." The sand drawings actually look unbelievable.
Cheers Azure, you wouldn't have a link would you? The one that used to be on your sig was down (I think?).

I can understand Mustardseeds point of view here. The GBA homebrew scene is fairly advanced and the emulators are fairly spectacular really considering the GP32 is supposed to be the 'world most powerful handheld console'. I believe that NES, SMS, ZX Spectrum and GB emulation on the GBA are generally slightly better than the GP32 equivalents.

However, to me though the big advantage of the GP32 is that saving isn't such a pain in the arse, and this is what makes me use my GP32 more than my GBA. Also Elite works on the GP32 NES (although GBA has a wonderful version of Elite - A New Kind). Although I believe the emus are better on the GBA, the GP32 emus arestill excellent and highly playable and have the added bonuses of Castaway, GPEngine and Doom (which knocks spots off the GBA version).

I am worried about the GP32 scene though. If Rlyeh has left (for Zodiac) we are not likely to see much in 2004, maybe one more release of OpenSNESx and a few more half finished homebrew games and some Doom wads of a couple of impressive looking levels. The guy doing Frodo gave an update a couple of months ago so we might see a new version of that before the end of the year.

WhizzBang posted on Feb 22 2004 at 12:52 AM said:
I am worried about the GP32 scene though. If Rlyeh has left (for Zodiac) we are not likely to see much in 2004, maybe one more release of OpenSNESx and a few more half finished homebrew games and some Doom wads of a couple of impressive looking levels. The guy doing Frodo gave an update a couple of months ago so we might see a new version of that before the end of the year.
Has Rlyeh left!? That's terrible, I really thought we were going to get some good sega genesis emulation of the GP32... he was a good coder too... :(

EDIT: wait I forgot that Loridan is coding an ASM core for a genesis emulator, at least thats some good news :)

Every single game I have every tried on Little John has run flawlessly at 100% speed without frameskip, I don't see what some blokes are on about. Did you even bother to change the settings? Try some games that actually run well on osnes9x, such as lufia 2, flashback, super metroid, live-a-live etc. Did you even bother to read the locked topics on this board?

Make sure to try LittleJohn 0.3. Some people say 0.4 is perfect, but I definitely noticed overall slowdown in all the games with 0.4, and I have no problems at all with 0.3.

Also, Rlyeh left? That fucking sucks.

Back