My First Animated Film, Made For The Holidays

Esn

(:";
Website
esn.newgrounds.com
I don't know what response I'll get from a forum of technically-minded people and gamers, but as I'm a frequent visitor here, I figured I'd share this little film I recently made for the holidays. It is about a young boy who dreams of journeying in Santa's sleigh on Christmas Eve:

One Quiet Winter Night

02dds3.jpg

Painted in ArtRage, and animated in Flash MX.

I'm no expert, but I've been to a few animation festivals in my time and that could very easily fit in without anyone batting an eyelid as to the quality.

Very nice work. :D

Don't make us wait a year for the next one!

A warm art style, very fitting. I wonder how it would have looked like with slightly more saturated colours here and there, though I think the ones you used are very fitting for depicting a dream. How long did it take you to complete from start to finish?

Brilliant - very professional looking :)

The animation style reminded me of the intro to Shadow of the Beast 2 on the Amiga (but way better!!)

Look forward to seeing more anims for you in the future.

Line O'Sevens said:
Alex. said:
How long did it take you to complete from start to finish?
From the Newgrounds link:
It took me about a year of intermittent work.

True, but it was really more like 1.5-2 months if you count the actual days I worked on it... and that included learning how to use the programs. It's not really that big of a film; I wanted it to be small, to be sure that I would finish it.

The animation style reminded me of the intro to Shadow of the Beast 2 on the Amiga (but way better!!)

Thanks, although this was probably my strongest inspiration (and it's way better than anything I can do):

Last edited by a moderator:
The muted tones, music, and style remind me of this movie:
The Snowman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKYTh-FvpWA
Mind you, this is one of my all time faviorite things on the moving screen.
So, I like yours alot.

As to constructive criticism,
The moving bits, like the hand on the child's head were very well done.
The shading on the child's face, especially the nose, was a bit severe.
The snowflakes weren't as random as they might have been.

Very well done, especially for a first effort!

Last edited by a moderator:
That is beautiful! Really excellent. Make lots more and share them here!!!

yes, very good. Flash MX is old though, you can do a lot more with Flash 8(what I have(legally)).
I didn't like the CS3 trial of flash.

Back