My first impressions of the Pyra

Just remembered another quick query i had. I have 2x 128gb SanDisk cards I bought a while ago for my then upcoming Pyra, by default they are exfat formatted. I want to rename each card so I can keep track on them easier on my desktop but they are both appearing with the same label. I tried to see if I could change the names using gparted but it seems its exfat handling is limited

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
I'd like to think it would be installed by default, but perhaps not, you may need to install exfat-utils, then perhaps gparted will work properly. if not there should be an exfatlabel command that handles renaming it.

Last edited:
Yes, I have a USB disc that I share between my main server, my TV and my Wii console. I have extfat-utils installed on the server and that gives me exfatlabel. I guess the disc is exfat formatted because it's a 1TB disc, and I guess I installed exfat-utils so that I could use exfatlabel to relabel it, but I don't remember the details, but that's certainly the most obvious explanation.

Note I don't use gparted because this machine is generally run headless. I don't even use parted because the discs are still MBR based and I'm used to the way fdisk works so I've not learned anything newer yet.

As it stands charging is very slow, I hope this can be optimized in due course

Charging should work fine. As long as the unit it running, it can be pretty slow, sure, as the unit itself needs a bit of power.
Using a proper power supply (3A, 5.3V) with a good MicroUSB-Cable (not too long and not too thin), connecting this to the USB-OTG port and then powering off the Pyra will quickly charge it.

Today's update, installed a few emulators from the online repo (not the Pyra specific one). The first was ScummVM, it's not the latest build but it runs really well. Plays nicely with fullscreen. I didn't have files for Blade Runner or Grim Fandango ready so I don't know if it's up-to-date enough to run them but any of the older Lucasarts games seemed to run really well. another emulator I tried was FS-UAE, it will need a lot more further testing but my initial attempts did not work well. Even though I was trying to emulate an Amiga A500 the results were far too slow to be playable. I will try some more things at the weekend. I read that there might be a N64 build coming soon, that sounds really promising!

another emulator I tried was FS-UAE, it will need a lot more further testing but my initial attempts did not work well. Even though I was trying to emulate an Amiga A500 the results were far too slow to be playable. I
Yes, as these usually use software scaling at the moment, which slows them down a lot.
Using hardware accelerated OpenGL / GLES will change that in the future :)

Charging should work fine. As long as the unit it running, it can be pretty slow, sure, as the unit itself needs a bit of power.
Using a proper power supply (3A, 5.3V) with a good MicroUSB-Cable (not too long and not too thin), connecting this to the USB-OTG port and then powering off the Pyra will quickly charge it.
Does it really take a better charge using the USB3 micro-USB OTG port than it does using the dedicated USB2-like charge and debug port?

Does it really take a better charge using the USB3 micro-USB OTG port than it does using the dedicated USB2-like charge and debug port?
Stupid question time, is the OTG port the longer one at the end?

It depends. While debug port is dumb, so it doesn't talk to the power supply how much current it is allowed to draw. We increase the value when the system is running - but I'm not sure this value is kept when the system is switched off. So it could limit to 500mA max then.

The OTG port is smart and checks back with the power supply how much it can provide, so it always works, even when switched off.

Heh, if a pro like Wally can't get his battery cover on, what chance do I have?
You'll be fine. Just picture the cover as a slice of pizza and the battery as a small heater...

I didn’t had any issues after I figured out that it’s better this time to just put the Cover whit the battery on, but I wrote this several times..
seems like I have to make a video but first I have to figure out how to get the cover open to reinstall the Battery and cover on Film ^^

Well, in my Unboxing, it’s ditnt work out anyway, so I thought as I don’t want to use 4G on my Pyra it wasn’t that important for me anymore..
maybe someone could hack me now, but why should someone?

Has anyone tested PPSSPP yet in Pyra? It is in the repo but nobody commented on the forums about how well it runs.

Well, I thought about testing the older stuff from the Repo, but then I downloaded the Atari Emulator which ditnt worked because it was compiled for a 1 or so year older kernel, so I thought, anything older than the Drastic Port will not get tested by me..
could be they work now that whe have OpenGL

I also tried to download an Atari 800 emulator, but not from the Pyra repo though. It did not work. I've not tried The PSP emulator though, but as for hand Supertux didn't run for me either. I did manage to get my second battery working properly , it turns out I was getting caught with the issue with my SD card in the primary slot stopping bootup

Back