My First Wiz Not A Good Start.

Analog-X64

Still Fresh
So I got the WIZ on sale for $99 from ThinkGeek and sure enough it was
the one the ones that cant run the SNES Emulator.

I contacted ThinkGeek explaining the situation and they sent me
a replacement which arrived yesterday and it this one works just fine.

When the first unit arrived, the total value for duty was listed as

$98.63 and I paid $12.82 for Import Charges

The replacement was listed as
$149.00 and I paid $78.30 for Import Charges

This thing has cost me $195 so far.

I'm going to contact ThinkGeek and see if they can do anything about it.

What's this about some Wiz models not being able to run SNES emulators? I'm thinking of buying one from ThinkGeek as well. Thanks!

I had the same thing when i ordered a dingoo a330 last year from an american store.
I live in Belgium (continental europe), Belgian customs added about 60% import taxes.
Generally they don't care if any of this is the suppliers fault (like a replacement unit), the reciever has to pay the surplus taxes or your package wont be cleared. And believe me, if they want to they can let ur package rot in storage for several months while taxes add up.

The only advice i can give u is to order from within the continent u r living (inside america, inside european union, etc.)

So, did you get a refund on your import charges? I'm curious.

Analog-X64 said:
So I got the WIZ on sale for $99 from ThinkGeek and sure enough it was
the one the ones that cant run the SNES Emulator.

I contacted ThinkGeek explaining the situation and they sent me
a replacement which arrived yesterday and it this one works just fine.

When the first unit arrived, the total value for duty was listed as

$98.63 and I paid $12.82 for Import Charges

The replacement was listed as
$149.00 and I paid $78.30 for Import Charges

This thing has cost me $195 so far.

I'm going to contact ThinkGeek and see if they can do anything about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
HunterZ said:
What's this about some Wiz models not being able to run SNES emulators? I'm thinking of buying one from ThinkGeek as well. Thanks!

AFAIR, there was one firmware version (the latest?) where PocketSNES won't run. Flashing a different firmware version should help here.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
HunterZ said:

AFAIR, there was one firmware version (the latest?) where PocketSNES won't run. Flashing a different firmware version should help here.
Someone said that a firmware downgrade didn't fix it for them, but GinGE did. I wonder why GinGE fixes it? I thought GinGE was a compatibility layer for running GP2X software on the Wiz?

Here's a link to that discussion: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56004-pocketsnes-v7-0/page__view__findpost__p__933929

Edit: And here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/57950-im-having-a-problem-when-starting-pocketsnes/page__view__findpost__p__935734

Seems the newest version of PocketSNES may be compiled improperly for Wiz and GinGE helps clear it up?

I ordered one on 02/25/11 and the SNES emulator on mine works fine. The USB cord or connector is a huge peice of crap but all of the emultors I've used so far work.

erickitt said:
I ordered one on 02/25/11 and the SNES emulator on mine works fine. The USB cord or connector is a huge peice of crap but all of the emultors I've used so far work.
Which specific SNES emulator version are you using?

I just got my Wiz from ThinkGeek yesterday and I'm using PocketSNES v7.1.0. Looks like the "compatible" version runs for me (haven't tried any roms yet though), but the "fast" version just goes to a blank screen. I haven't tried GINGE yet.

Edit: Actually they both start for me if I run them via the Launcher utility on the Wiz's main menu. If I launch via the "Wiz Games" utility instead, however, I get the results above.

I have a feeling that part of the problem may be that people are going about things any one of a dozen different ways...

HunterZ said:
erickitt said:
Which specific SNES emulator version are you using?

I just got my Wiz from ThinkGeek yesterday and I'm using PocketSNES v7.1.0. Looks like the "compatible" version runs for me (haven't tried any roms yet though), but the "fast" version just goes to a blank screen. I haven't tried GINGE yet.

Edit: Actually they both start for me if I run them via the Launcher utility on the Wiz's main menu. If I launch via the "Wiz Games" utility instead, however, I get the results above.

I have a feeling that part of the problem may be that people are going about things any one of a dozen different ways...
Can you at least get to the options menu in PocketSnes v7.1.0 fast? If you do get to the options menu make sure you have the audio hack turned off. Usually that is the case for quite a few games that go to a blank screen. Sometimes it's because of a bad rom. Some games you have to have "compatible" set in the options regardless of running the compatible or fast .gpe file.

Back