My Fix For The Joystick Screen Pressure Problem.

mangobrain posted on Dec 7 2005 at 11:51 AM said:
TandeM posted on Dec 7 2005 at 10:01 AM said:
I'm almost done reassembling (removed the headphone/EXT/USB cover flaps, touched up the headphone socket, and lined up the battery LED along with removing the foam square), but I'm seeing one screw that's about 2~3mm longer than the others.  Is that normal, and if so, which corner does it go in?

I found this when I opened my unit once before, just for a general poke-around and to see if there were any obvious problems with the soldering on the USB socket (before I fixed my USB problems another way).

In my case, it goes in the top right-hand corner (looking at the back of the unit).

That is weird, I found two short and two long screws in mine, I put the long ones in the top I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just noticed I had the problem today. Maybe mine isn't as bad? It took me 3 days to even see it and it doesn't bug me at all. :blink:

Well, the repeated rpessure on the LCD screen isn't that great for it anyway.... it'll prolly hurt its durability...

stinch posted on Dec 6 2005 at 02:25 PM said:
Ninjia^ posted on Dec 6 2005 at 07:14 PM said:
I saw this when I opened mine but thought it was a heatsink lol

It almost certainly is a way to transfer heat from the chip to the screen to keep the chip cool. Unless you know what you are doing I wouldn't recommend you do this, remove too much and there will be an air gap between the transfer pads and the screen. This may result in the chip not getting adequate cooling.

It almost certianly is NOT a way to transfer heat. I have never heard of an LCD being used as a heatsink. First, rubber foam is quite possibly the worst Thermal Interface Material possible. Second, you want to do everything possible to keep heat AWAY from your LCD... LCDs are very heat sensitive and are damage by heat. Anyone ever have there NLU or FLU outside in the sun on a hot summer day? You start getting distortion and flickering when it heats up. The only draw back to this could be the PCB being loose or possibly the foam was there to keep the LCD from TOUCHING a hot surface, which would be quite the opposite from a heatsink. Either way, it sounds like a good fix - makes wonder why GPH stuffed a bunch of foam in there then told everyone to loosen their back screws :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back