Founder of Pirate Games - Penjin Coder
Staff member
Website
pokeparadox.itch.io
WEBSITE
https://github.com/pokeparadox
YOUTUBE
pokeparadox
Well I was showing off the latest developments (SegaCD emulation, CPS2 :D) and now my stick is fucked... It's all loose and no directions register :(

Any clues what can be done to save my 1st Edition?

buy a new stick from an electronics shop and solder it in.
theres some links somewhere try a search for maplin.

or try a Dpad mod

I had a simliar problem, I would try and mess with it. In my case the stick popped out of its socket. Moving it around got it back in place. When my popped out it was pretty loose and nothing would register.

Well I was showing off the latest developments (SegaCD emulation, CPS2 :D) and now my stick is fucked... It's all loose and no directions register :(

Any clues what can be done to save my 1st Edition?

Twist it it should pop back in place.

Try to use the stick click as little as possible, and do so very gently. That is the piece that is worn/broken.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far nothing's working... but thanks for the responses. I should have remembered to search I guess, but I was kinda shocked lol

I'll keep trying.

Yes, it should work eventually. The link that spoyser posted is what I used when it happened to me. In particular, pay attention to this, from LordFu:

It's really hard to explain how to fix it. The trick is to rotate the joystick back to where it belongs while pulling it up or pushing it down, slightly. Take the cap off the joystick, and the flat side of the metal should be facing your left hand. Then you have to work with it until it pops back into it's socket.

I've had to do it 3 times, and it always takes me 45 minutes or more to do it. You should feel a slight click when it goes back, and the joystick will be springy again. It's a real pain in the ass to do.

You just have to be patient and careful. You'll get it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto. Happened to me twice. The first time I freaked out, but eventually got it back in. The second time, I had it fixed within a couple of minutes. Hasn't happened in about 3 months now.

Well I've just trashed my second GP2X joystick in just over 1 month (and I would class myself as a 'light' user). :angry:

Both went exactly the same way - became very loose (but still functioning). Then the button would press in very easily when I was playing games like R-type & then it began to GRIND and the diags became almost impossible to hit (flickering on the test mode) :eek:

Have gone for one of ED's D-pad mods (only 1 left now!) as I can't be arsed to get another replacement from GP2X.co.uk (although I have to say that they were VERY good about the first replacement) :) I figured that if I'm getting through 2 joysticks per month I'd better try another route for my GP2X pleasure!

Shame I'll lose my warranty though. Hopefully GP2X.co.uk will start performing the D-pad mod soon (hint hint) and allow people to keep the warranty intact! :D

I'm wondering how hard it would be to produce a small clip to hold the joystick's column in place.
I haven't had a GP2X apart yet (just got my replacement today as my last one literally burnt out) but I'm sure there'll be pictures somewhere online of the joystick's column... I may be able to design and produce a clip for it.

Will keep y'all informed if I succeed!

Back