My Gp2x Still Works But ...

TheFr00n

Still Fresh
Ok this is weird, and I'm just throwing it out there because you never know.

Firstly, I did a dumb thing. It didn't seem dumb at the time, but in retrospect, it was dumb. I plugged my GP2x into an AC adapter. Oh, I didn't do it lightly. I researched this forum to try and find the best kind etc etc, and the wisdom seemed to suggest that any 1A adapter with the correct voltage would do.

So I plugged it in, and it seemed to work fine. I plugged in the TV out, and lo and behold, I was using the GP2x as a video player cooooooooooool.

Only after about 10 minutes it went dead, and was pretty warm to the touch. I presumed I'd bricked it. I mourned. For days I was inconsolable.

Then on a whim I picked it up, shoved some batteries in it and switched it on. Huzzah! It's ALIIIiiiiiive!

But it's not the same.

It now eats a fully charged set of batteries in about 30-40 minutes. I have tried different brands, same result. The thing boots, and within moments the red low-power light comes on.

And here's another weird thing. Sometimes it won't boot. Out of frustration I discovered that if you remove the battery cover and (with the batteries still in it) rub the batteries up and down so that they roll a bit, then it will start fine and run for the usual amount of time before expiring.

Any ideas? Can this be fixed? Or do I now own a zombie GP2x, not bricked, yet not fully alive?

well if you happened to plug in the adapter incorrectly it could have fried the ltsk. Does it still work through the power adapter? If the adapter is rated high enough and can run around 3v it should work ok. I have heard of some people having capacitors fall off that they re solder and it fixes their battery time. what model gp2x do u have?

Take the batteries out, get a screw driver or other sturdy pointy object and bend the battery contacts out. Bend it far enough so when you put the batteries back in, the slightly bend the contacts back the other way again.

And when they snap off 3 months later, use pieces of tinfoil.

At least that's what I do. Curse you, GPH, for not using proper springs!

I have a good ol' MK1. I've never opened it, but it doesn't rattle when shook. I made sure the polarity was correct before plugging it in - besides, if I'd got that wrong the unit would never have started.

I'm going to try the tinfoil thing on a whim - who knows? I'll report back after my next Shining Force session :)

Back