My Gp2x Thumbstick Dislodged Itself...

DavidBeoulve

GP2X by EvilDragon OC's to 280-300MHz
Website
www.gamersgonebad.com
My GP2X thumbstick dislodged itself... it's literally recessed into the GP2X.

I was playing Payback and didn't hear a crack, or feel a bump, I just noticed my stick go limp. Sure enough, it wouldn't return to a neutral position, and it was off-center. It's also recessed into the GP2X, as if pushed in, or as though it came loose from whatever held it up against the top half of the GP2X casing.

I have no idea how to fix this, nor where I could send my GP2X from Florida, USA, to get it fixed if it needs that.

Also, my (A) button has been getting sticky, but I've tried cleaning it and pulling it out with my fingernails. At least with Payback I could remap keys to where it didn't matter, but that's highly annoying.

Anyone got any advice?

Edit: duh spelling.

David Beoulve posted on Dec 27 2006 at 05:56 PM said:
My GP2X thumbstick dislodged itself... it's literally recessed into the GP2X.

I was playing Payback and didn't hear a crack, or feel a bump, I just noticed my stick go limp. Sure enough, it wouldn't return to a neutral position, and it was off-center. It's also recessed into the GP2X, as if pushed in, or as though it came loose from whatever held it up against the top half of the GP2X casing.

I have no idea how to fix this, nor where I could send my GP2X from Florida, USA, to get it fixed if it needs that.

Also, my (A) button has been getting sticky, but I've tried cleaning it and pulling it out with my fingernails. At least with Payback I could remap keys to where it didn't matter, but that's highly annoying.

Anyone got any advice?

Edit: duh spelling.

I'm surprised nobody else has responded to you yet. Must be because of the holidays. Anyway, have a look at this thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=31121

The simple answer, quoted from LordFu:

It's really hard to explain how to fix it. The trick is to rotate the joystick back to where it belongs while pulling it up or pushing it down, slightly. Take the cap off the joystick, and the flat side of the metal should be facing your left hand. Then you have to work with it until it pops back into it's socket.

I've had to do it 3 times, and it always takes me 45 minutes or more to do it. You should feel a slight click when it goes back, and the joystick will be springy again. It's a real pain in the ass to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had it happen twice. It's very easy to fix, but hard to explain how. You just have to move it a certain way and it pops back into place.

Sorry for the late reply guys. I'll show the thread to my lovely Latina, she's the only one with the fine fingers able to pull it off.

Updates about self:
In the mean time I camped out and bought my daughters a Wii. It's great, it's nifty, and I really enjoy the controllers, but Zelda: Twilight Princess isn't that appealing after playing Shadow of the Colossus (no loading, real horse skeleton movements), Oblivion (enough said) and the N64 Zelda: Ocarina of Time. So my 9yo is plowing through it.

My Latin wife encouraged me to get an NDS, because she still wanted to try out Brain Age and, after all, the Wii sure worked out, so I did. I got a pink NDS Lite for my girls, and just purchased a G6 Lite with a passcard for it.

If I can get my GP2X working, I want Payback and Star... that game! And of course I'll play MP3's on it. It's not like my 9yo will be hogging the old GP2X with its SEGA Genesis games when she has an NDS that can play GBA and NDS games.

Not that I'm jealous. When I travel, I rarely play games, and usually listen to music anyway.

Anyway, the GP2X, with case, cables, 4gb SD card and shipping set me back just over $400. Stupid me just spent $130+tax on an NDS, $70 on 3 games (Brain Age, Advance Wars, Castlevania: Ruins of something, two players controlled simultaneously which is much fun) plus $112 for the G6 Lite (512MB / 4Gbit) with a passcard, which is under $320.

I suppose I like handhelds. I blame my GP2X! And EvilDragon! Because... he's Evil! ;)

Back to my GP2X:
Anyway, can't wait to see if Maria can piece my joypad back in. Who all would be willing to fix it permanently if it needs that?

Back