My Pulsar Skin 0.2 Beta Is Ready For Download :)

Mr. Anderson

GP2x USER
Website
Visit site
EDIT
For everyone interested, I updated the backgrounds, they are a bit brighter now and no one has scanlines, I also added a testmode background.

Preview is here(I was too lazy to make one so I just copied my workspace)

since the update system take a while here I decided to upload it at rapidshare, so everyone can test it asap and tell me what's wrong with it(however I will fix it tomorrow cause I am going to bed now) ^^

Select FREE -> Wait 15 Seconds -> download link appears on the bottom of the page -> click it

-yeah I am bored with my gp2x without a compatible SD, plus I don't know if I will have the time to complete it when I can finally USE my gp2x ;)

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Original post:

here is the Link to my pulsar skin:

[Download]

pulsar9xo.jpg

It's not completely done yet, as you can surely see on the missing 'control' buttons, also the music player has still the default buttons on and the display brightness might screw the whole skin because I don't have a gp2x yet to test it directly. However expect an update within this week, cause my gp2x will arrive soon :)

Enjoy(hopefully) :)

I am using it on my Gp2x, very nice skin.

Can I suggest changing the Photo viewer background to a crisper image like the rest, I know you were going for a particular look with those horzontal lines but it just looks like the picture is corrupt on the real hardware.

Keep it up and thanks :)

May I ask which program or w/e u used to add the transparency in? Im using Paint Rite now and i dont think that its very good for stuff like this.

something that I can just paste my font rite on without it overlapping the space around it like it does in here: (notice the blackness aronud the text heh.)

example.PNG

Thx! By the way nice job!

Drak posted on Dec 3 2005 at 02:15 AM said:
May I ask which program or w/e u used to add the transparency in? Im using Paint Rite now and i dont think that its very good for stuff like this.

something that I can just paste my font rite on without it overlapping the space around it like it does in here: (notice the blackness aronud the text heh.)

example.PNG

Bows to you if search of help :0

Last edited by a moderator:
Drak posted on Dec 3 2005 at 10:15 AM said:

example.PNG

You did that with paint :blink: -Not bad for paint. But you should use something else, get gimp, it's free, instead or better: Get Photoshop(most people use it) or what I use for web based graphics and/or skins: Ulead Photo Impact...

Iorgy77 posted on Dec 3 2005 at 10:07 AM said:
I am using it on my Gp2x, very nice skin.

Can I suggest changing the Photo viewer background to a crisper image like the rest, I know you were going for a particular look with those horzontal lines but it just looks like the picture is corrupt on the real hardware.

Keep it up and thanks :)

Ah I see... the scanlines are the problem right?(and the color was really not that vibrant there, true) what's about the rest of the appearance, I don't know if anyone has noticed it, I changed the skin to 0.1a and brightened up all backgrounds cause some people complained about the skin beeing too dark. However now it looks much to bright as I heard :( -I'll fix all those color problems as soon as I get my 512MB Sandisk Card, sometime next week...

Yes I would say it is a combination of the scan lines and horizontal lines in the photo section that makes it look odd.

I didn't try the earlier version so I can't comment on it being too bright now.

The rest of the screens look great, The games one could lose that vertical line running through it but very nice indeed.

But if I could make another suggest could you possibly make the glow around the selected icons on the main screen bigger? It would help with seeing which icon is currently selected.

Thanks again :)

Iorgy77 posted on Dec 3 2005 at 10:33 PM said:
But if I could make another suggest could you possibly make the glow around the selected icons on the main screen bigger? It would help with seeing which icon is currently selected.

Thanks again :)

I would love to make it bigger, but it's not possible due to the limitations in size, I would have to make the icons smaller then, however I guess I will add some transparency to the icons that are not selected as well as making the background of the main screen a bit brighter than it is in the first release and will get rid of the scanlines in the Games and Photo Section.

I'll put the next version(most likely 0.3) in my signature with a photo of my GP2x using it as well as the DL Link for it.

I was just wondering mr.Anderson see the pic i showed you there? See the blackness around the letters? I dont want that in there I want ot know how to do transparency any ideas? :p

so when it comes to my icons i dont have to go pixel by pixel.

Drak posted on Dec 3 2005 at 10:41 PM said:
I was just wondering mr.Anderson see the pic i showed you there? See the blackness around the letters? I dont want that in there I want ot know how to do transparency any ideas? :p

Not with paint, it's impossible. Paint lacks any special effect you can think of(and afaik, it can't even create .PNG files which are vital for making a skin)! You should really get Photo Impact(Easy for beginners, great for the advanced) here: http://www.ulead.com/

However that is only a trial version. For starters you would be pleased with an "enhanced paint" like GIMP. It's free and you can get it here: http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

This is a really nice skin, good job :) But I dont like the mushroom image used for the video submenu, I just think its so overused these days

Font is a big problem, I don't want to have a much different font than the GPH Linux uses, just because it wouldn't look right, I allready changed the font on the top and will change the font of the icons next, so it matches up with the GPH font.

pulsar.jpg

Mr. Anderson posted on Dec 3 2005 at 02:45 PM said:
Drak posted on Dec 3 2005 at 10:41 PM said:

Not with paint, it's impossible. Paint lacks any special effect you can think of(and afaik, it can't even create .PNG files which are vital for making a skin)! You should really get Photo Impact(Easy for beginners, great for the advanced) here: http://www.ulead.com/

However that is only a trial version. For starters you would be pleased with an "enhanced paint" like GIMP. It's free and you can get it here: http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Thanks mate and yes paint can save png files all mine are png, now Hopefully I can do transparencies.

Oh.. and the trial thing is no problem ill just get the cracked one ^.^. Ive used GIMP before but I dont like how slow it loads on my 2.7ghz comp.

If you're on Windows, and you don't want to use GIMP (can't blame you, as it's the only user-unfriendly software I've ever seen), I can recommend Pixia or Paint.NET. Haven't been on Windows for a while, but when I was Pixia was a great gift.

In any case, stay the hell away from MSPaint - that program's a joke.

Prothall posted on Dec 3 2005 at 03:11 PM said:
If you're on Windows, and you don't want to use GIMP (can't blame you, as it's the only user-unfriendly software I've ever seen), I can recommend Pixia or Paint.NET. Haven't been on Windows for a while, but when I was Pixia was a great gift.

im trying out the photo impact now :p

Drak posted on Dec 3 2005 at 03:18 PM said:
Prothall posted on Dec 3 2005 at 03:11 PM said:

im trying out the photo impact now :p

Hm for some reason I cant open the free trail of Photo impact 11.. im going to try 8 cracked :p

Back