My Soul Died A Little Today.

mindlord

Notices Two Things
Website
Visit site
I'm so sad... My LCD cable has deteriorated to the point where the screen is purple all the time, and it's only a matter of a few more lid open/close cycles before it will break for good. I just emailed Jacquelyn to get RMA details.

I suggested, although I doubt he'll go for it, that those of us across the pond send our units to MWeston for repair. I hope the shipping costs isn't going to be too much, since I'm on such a tight budget at the moment. I'd hate to have to use the slow method. 18+ days round trip would be torturous.

* Mindlord goes off to sob softly in a quiet corner.

Aww, I sympathise, mindlord - I've been without mine for a couple of weeks, now. They'll sort you out just fine, though. :)

Alerino said:
is yours one of the first first batchers? <100
It's hard to say exactly. Since they weren't shipped out in serial # order... Mine is #625 by serial, I was pretty sure I was in the first 300 orderers since my email timestamp was within the first 15 minutes or so. It's entirely likely that my Pandora suffers the same problem as many of the first few. Evildragon said they learned something about the LCD cable after the first 300 or so shipped to prevent this particular issue from happening. I guess I'm one of the unlucky few to suffer the wrath of the pinched LCD cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel your pain, man. My left nub broke today and i have to send it back :(

these "little" problems are really annoying and frustrating..

My replacement unit was dead on arrival (the power circuit doesn't work).

Understand your pain it's going to be third time lucky for me! Hopefully .....I

I took my Pandora on a camping trip with me two weeks ago. It was hot, but not too hot. Humid, but not too humid. Naturally my Pandora never left my sight. If I had to leave it in the car - left it in the glovebox, where it was cooler than the passenger area. When driving it was sitting on the console playing music through the aux-in in my car stereo, as per the norm AC blasting it from above. I didn't notice any odd behavior until I got home after the trip.

At first it would just flicker purple, just for an instant, as I opened it - at a very specific angle. Gradually the purple flicker would appear at a greater and greater range of angles. Then the angle where it originally started flicker purple would flicker black. The purple crept closer and closer to the fully opened angle, and the blackness swelled as well. Now, all angles except a select few are black, and with enough tinkering I can get the purple out, but it's only a matter of time before it's completely gone.

So, once it starts, you've got about 2 weeks of use before it fails.

I, too, feel your pain. I also had to send my unit back a couple weeks ago due to problems with the LCD ribbon cable (screen developed a blue-ish tint when the lid was opened more than 90 degrees). My hinge wasn't quite right when I got my unit, so that may be the reason why this happened. I hope I get a replacement/fixed unit soon :(

mindlord said:
I suggested, although I doubt he'll go for it, that those of us across the pond send our units to MWeston for repair. I hope the shipping costs isn't going to be too much, since I'm on such a tight budget at the moment. I'd hate to have to use the slow method. 18+ days round trip would be torturous.

That would be ideal...I'll need to send mine back for new nubs and a shoulder button. I don't think MWeston has the necessary parts though...nor the time, probably.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm delaying sending mine in for repair. Both of my nubs have been faulty as long as I've had the Pandora. However, the nubs aren't too important to me right now nor do I feel like dropping the money to ship it out yet, so I am in no hurry to send it in, just as long as I do it within the warranty period. Fortunately everything else seems to be working perfectly. It'd be nice to have a cheaper option to ship to for repair more locally, but we knew what we were getting into ordering internationally.

As a member of the one nub club, I haven't had any serious issues yet (including nub issues) but this thread worries me. Is is possible to order replacement ribbon cables for when I eventually join the purple screen club?

^ IIRC, Craig wants to offer a spare parts set including an LCD ribbon in his shop later. It's not advisable to open the lid yourself though, if you are not experienced dealing with delicate hardware. In some cases the ribbon just slipped out of the connector on the PCB(we just had someone on the German boards who fixed it himself), which is easily fixable(check MWestons quote Gruso posted in the "Hacker's Manual" thread).

^ You'd have to direct the question about warranty at Craig. Opening the case voids the warranty according to the quickstart guide.

Good luck mindlord. I'd be quite bummed as well. So far one nubbing and lovin' it here.
EDIT: well pseudo one nubbing, it never seemed to be bad

Back