Mysterious Rebooting and other Initial Issues

#endgame

Still Fresh
Hi all,

I recently bought a 1GHz silver Pandora and while I love the device, I am having the following issues:

Problem: The machine seems to reboot when idling in standby for long periods of time. I'll plug it in to charge, wait for it to boot up, click it to standby. When I come back a day or so later, it will be running at full power and show the "you haven't shut down properly, do you want to run the CPU slower?" screen.

Solution: Increase the number of CPU cycles when idle:

Edit (as root) /etc/pandora/conf/cpu.conf and increase the minimum to 150 or 200.

Thanks to: ingoreis

Problem: The battery charge meter gives strange results: at the moment it's charging away happily, showing 84% and 0:00 in the xfce meter.

(Non-)Solution: The battery meter is only designed to show discharge time, not charge time.

Thanks to: Neelix

Problem: The hinge is rather floppy: even a force as slight as tilting my hands during play will make it spring all the way open.

(Non-)Solution: The hinge is not designed to stay open at every angle. Open it 180 degrees.

Thanks to: mcobit

- The screen bezel is bowed out under the bottom edge of the LCD.

- Using QEMU to run Windows 3.11/DOS 6.22, the stylus is unusable but the nubs work fine for the mouse. Is there any way to fix this?

If you can help me with any of these, I'd be very grateful. I also have some questions:

- Are there any software updates/hotfixes I should get?

- Does the USB-gadget support allow me to boot another machine using .iso files on the pandora?

Problem: Is there a decent Sega Master System emulator available?

Solution: 8BLITTER

Thanks to: CocoCreekFisherman

Last edited by a moderator:
- Using QEMU to run Windows 3.11/DOS 6.22, the stylus is unusable but the nubs work fine for the mouse. Is there any way to fix this?
No in the moment is the only Solution to get the Touchscreen work correctly under a Win98/Win98SE

with activated "-usb -usbdevice tablet" in addidional Options.

You can use the Upgrade option with activated Wlan on your Zaxxon ^_^

-Press PandoraButton

-Choose System

-and Choose Upgrade Pandora OS

- The machine seems to reboot when idling in standby for long periods of time. I'll plug it in to charge, wait for it to boot up, click it to standby. When I come back a day or so later, it will be running at full power and show the "you haven't shut down properly, do you want to run the CPU slower?" screen.
Maybe the Minimum MHZ are too low for your System,

then can such Things happen.

Try to set the minimum CPU MHZ a little higher

-open a Terminal

- sudo mousepad

- open the file /etc/Pandora/conf/cpu.conf

- and change the min up to 150 or 200 MHZ

- save and reboot

- Does the USB-gadget support allow me to boot another machine using .iso files on the pandora?
See in the Applications for the Contest and read Soleil.

It dont work over USB , it work over Wlan or Lan.

So can you Choose Iso Files and boot over Ethernet/Network.

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/10894-application-soleil/?hl=soleil

Other Sollution is the Iso Optical Drive.

With that have you a External,but not bootable USB CDROM inside your Pandory.

Perfect for Game Installations ^_^   But at the moment not for booting.

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=iso_optical_drive

Hope i helped you ;)

Try the Solution to upper the minimum MHZ and report us ;)

We had a few Pandoras where the MHZ was to low with 125MHZ Minimum

and the System rebooted sometimes because this.

Well, the stuck on 80 something percent is in most cases a sign for a misaligned battery,

If you re-seat it correctly you'll see that it should fix that.

- The machine seems to reboot when idling in standby for long periods of time. I'll plug it in to charge, wait for it to boot up, click it to standby. When I come back a day or so later, it will be running at full power and show the "you haven't shut down properly, do you want to run the CPU slower?" screen.
Maybe the Minimum MHZ are too low for your System, then can such Things happen.
Other Sollution is the Iso Optical Drive.With that have you a External,but not bootable USB CDROM inside your Pandory.

Hope i helped you ;)  
You did, thank you. I have turned minimum frequency up to 150 (but it was in /etc/pandora/conf/cpu.conf, not /etc/Pandora/conf/cpu.conf). I'll suspend it for a while and see if it fails again.

As for the USB gadget not being a boot device, I read somewhere that this was due to a limitation in the kernel. Do you know if that's been fixed?

Well, the stuck on 80 something percent is in most cases a sign for a misaligned battery,

If you re-seat it correctly you'll see that it should fix that.
You misunderstood me. The battery charges fine, its just that the status panel was constantly saying 0:00 remaining.

Thank you both for your help so far.

You misunderstood me. The battery charges fine, its just that the status panel was constantly saying 0:00 remaining.

That would be because it only calculates time to empty, not time to full,  and if the battery is being charged rather than discharged   then it can't calculate time to empty, so it shows it as 0:00.

For better feedback on the charging status check out the Pandora System Info package.

- Neelix

Please note, that the Pandora has to be switched fully on (no stanby!) to charge.

Hi all,

I recently bought a 1GHz silver Pandora and while I love the device, I am having the following issues:

- This doesn't appear to be due to motion affecting the battery contacts: I've played several hours in moving cars on bumpy roads and haven't had trouble. I've left it sitting on a desk and come back to find that it's rebooted.

- It's running Release 1.52 Super Zaxxon, according to the boot screen.

- The battery charge meter gives strange results: at the moment it's charging away happily, showing 84% and 0:00 in the xfce meter.

- The hinge is rather floppy: even a force as slight as tilting my hands during play will make it spring all the way open.

- The screen bezel is bowed out under the bottom edge of the LCD.

If you can help me with any of these, I'd be very grateful. I also have some questions:

- Is there a decent Sega Master System emulator available? PicoDrive will run SMS games, but some (Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Wonder Boy III: Dragon's Trap) need to send a "pause" keypress to get to inventory screens and such, which PicoDrive doesn't allow.
8BITTER and Mednafen emulate SMS rather well. The floppy hinge and bowing screen bezel are construction issues many have experienced . Maybe too many bumps in the road ?? :eek:   ;)

Last edited:
I cannot say this enough: The hinge is not designed to stay open at any angle! The default opening position is 180 degrees.

I cannot say this enough: The hinge is not designed to stay open at any angle! The default opening position is 180 degrees.
Funny though my Pandora stays open at various angles and I do prefer it that way. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back