Release Myth-TV Compiled and Working - Cannot PND Though

Dave18

Hi

I thought it might be fun to have the Pandora acting as a PVR, a 32gb card should provide storage for a few standard def programs.

After fighting my way through dependency hell I've managed to get it working. The issue I have though is how to configure it in a way that is PND friendly.

To get is running the following is required.

sudo bash

opkg install mysql5

/etc/init.d/mysqld start

mkdir usr/local --- two 2 lines are to allow bindings to take place later

mkdir usr/etc ---

exit

this should create the mysql.sock file that is needed.

Then you have to create a database and let the user set above access it

mysql -u root -p

create database mythconverg;

create user 'mythtv'@'%' identified by 'mythtv';

create user 'mythtv'@'localhost' identified by 'mythtv';

set password for 'mythtv'@'%' = password('mythtv');

set password for 'mythtv'@'localhost' = password('mythtv');

connect mythconverg;

grant all privileges on *.* to 'mythtv'@'%' with grant option;

grant all privileges on *.* to 'mythtv'@'localhost' with grant option;

flush privileges;

exit;

Run mythbackend.sh to test. This will automatically upgrade your previous mythconverg database schema to the latest version:

now close the backend and run mythtv-setup.sh to configure capture cards etc (look the at mythtv wiki for help).

Once that is set up I find it works best by running mythbackend.sh in one terminal and leave it running and then running mythfrontend.sh in a seperate terminal.

All the scripts require sudo access to bind the /usr/local and /usr/etc mount point so mythtv can find the files it needs.

The zip is pretty big at the moment, mainly because it includes a built version of both mysql5 and qt. I've removed the obvious stuff from qt (examples, demos and docs) but there may be more that can be safely stripped out. I've left mysql5 in its entirety in case someone can work out how to use it to create the mysql server at runtime from within a pnd.

I've probably gone as far as I can with this on my own (as I don't really know mysql) but the archive is available here for anyone who wants to test (or pnd it!).

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4MNUTf8VOn5a2FxNWRoQmVoU3M

So for pnding it you would need to recompile mysql to run from your pnd and use the appdatafolders for storage etc.

Edit: what would be interesting though, is how good the pandora can be used with mythtv to record and stream video/tv.

Last edited by a moderator:
When testing it I found that it didn't play live tv at a great frame rate but it actually recorded ok so it should be suitable as a PVR.

My sticking point with mysql was getting it to create a mysql.sock in a user defined folder (and you can't seem to copy the one from /etc).

Couldn't you just first startupscripts, that create it for you with some userinput?

And yes, recording is just dumping the stream without decoding, so this would be fine. But I think there might be other solutions to do that instead of mythtv?

Hmm, the Pandora would indeed be a nice low-power recorder :)

Combined with a DLNA server running on it... :D

:D I would prefer a mythtv client.. but without good Wifi that will remain a dream :D

Back