N00B Needs Help (First Set Up and Getting Started)

data079

Still Fresh
Hello all, I just got my new 1Ghz Open Pandora, but to my dismay I am unable to get much working...

I started by setting up the wifi, then tried to download firefox but my 64Gb SDXC was formatted incorectly for the device, So I reformatted it to ext3.

So now it detects the SD card but I am still having trouble installing packages, It gives me a Permission Denied error from the store. I really also would like to update the firmware and download the codec pack but cannot do so as I am unable to format my card to fat32 from my windows 7 machine. I really need some help getting this thing up and running. Thanks for your help!

It's the nature of ext3 file format, you have to deal with owner permissions and what not it can be a pain to deal with..

Most people format to fat32 and it solves most of the issues.

Thanks for the quick response, How do I format to fat32 from windows7 and how would I get that up and running? Thanks again for your help

As far as I know ext3 isn't the best choice for memory cards because of its journal, I use ext2 on mine. SDXC cards are usually formatted with exFAT, a proprietary filesystem by Microsoft. Also MS imposes limitations on what you can format to FAT to promote its newer filesystems.

Actually, you can use the Pandora to both change the permissions of the ext2/3 filesystem or to format your card to FAT, although you need to use the terminal for both.

For changing the permissions open a terminal, find out the mountpoint of your card with

Code:
mount | grep mmcblk
(it's the /media/nameofyourcard address) then do a

Code:
sudo chown -R yourusername:yourusername /media/nameofyourcard
and replace yourusername with the username you choose at the setup. (If you don't know it anymore, type whoami in the terminal)

To format the card to FAT, again use

Code:
mount | grep mmcblk
, but use the /dev/mmcblkXpY address this time. It's best to have only one card in the Pandora to be sure you're formatting the correct one. Then edit this command to your needs and run it.

Code:
sudo mkdosfs -F32 -n ChooseCardLabel /dev/mmcblkXpY

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I'vre got the card formatted to fat32 via a windows app I found, now I'll see if I can update the firmware and get to using this thing :) Thanks for steering me in the right direction :)

@Fahrstuhl

That won't work, because this folder is recreated at each mount.

Need help again, i am getting a temporary error in name resolution when trying to download pnds... What should I do?

Sorry forgot that that was an entirely new topic... admin please delete.

@Fahrstuhl

That won't work, because this folder is recreated at each mount.
The -R option makes it recourse through all subfolders, so all the contents of the SD card, including its root folder will have the new owner and keep it across mounts because the information is stored in the file system not on the host.

Back