Release N64 Emulator?

raj_takhar

Still Fresh
Before anyone moans - I have read various threads that state a N64 emulator was not currently being worked on and the only one known was that of Zotd's Daedalus based emulator.

Having pre-ordered my Pandora I wanted to ask a question as to whether anyone knows of a anyone actively working on a N64 emulator?, additionally present some simple data (filesize compared to PSX files)

The PSX games are generally big expect most to be in excess of 100MB (usually 100-600MB), using pocket iso (freeware) that Zotd uses as a filetype you can shave about 1/3 off, but i have found anything greater than 1/3 can slow loading times. The PSX files can be huge, so get a big SDHC if you intend to play a lot of PSX games on your Pandora.

The alternative i have been hoping for is that a decent speed N64 emulator is made, not because its games were same quality as PSX but because the games were a heck of a lot smaller in size, if you want flash intros stick with PSX, if you want same quality graphics - better gameplay get N64 roms - they are comparatively smaller in size (most upto 32MB) whilst a couple of large games are a tad over 100MB. Additionally most download sites would offer up N64 roms as free downloads, whilst charging points/cash for the PSX roms (popularity is a sin - I had both consoles at time of release, the N64 was more fun, but a heck of a lot more expensive!)

Here is hoping someone recompiles one of the freeware N64 emulators shown here

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/n64/

So does anyone know of anyone working on a N64 emulator given zotd has stated timescale/workload issues - the link above could help? p&|a

it's not on any of chips list, so unless you get the word directly from the horses mouth, then no.

"recompiling any of the freeware emulators shown here" would either not work (emulator is fast due to using x86 specific code) or come out too slow (emulator is too slow anyway or for the Pandora it would be).

The only way to get acceptable speeds is an ARM dynarec with an also HW-accelerated graphics. And Daedalus is a great start ofr that if I might say.

Oh, and it's "Zodttd", not "Zotd" :p

However, an N64 emulator will be attempted eventually (I wouldn't be surprised if that eventually was short after the pandora's launch)

Question:
rajtakhar said:
I wanted to ask a question as to whether anyone knows of a anyone actively working on a N64 emulator?

Self-answer:
I have read various threads that state a N64 emulator was not currently being worked on

If something was in the works, you wouldn't have to ask. :wink:

Well this is now seriously off topic.

But as it is already... What has Pam Ayres got to do with it? She was "Oh, I Wish I'd Looked After Me Teeth" (per google, I am obviously far too young to have any idea what you are talking about.)

Ok kinda back on topic on this one. Here is the latest update from the DeadalusX64 team regarding the current progress of the PSP alpha. These guys are making leaps and bounds. I know this still has a long way to go and the results are still mediocre but in terms of progress im very very impressed. I think we have also found the target of a port if or when one will be attempted.

Captain Morgan, Moers, Kreationz, Shinydude100 and Wally Have recieved the compiled eboot of Daedalusx64 Version 0.01 A (Alpha). There are only a few games I've tested out, and what I can say to everyone is that while it isn't %100 full-speed yet, it has had an increase in FPS. Certain games have dramatic speed-increases that are sustained in certain spots like main menus and logos. I almost screamed when I saw the Nintendo Logo on The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time run for like a good second at 129 FPS. Then of course it dropped down, but the menu before initiating game-play ran at about 55-60 Frames per second. The area of the game where Link walks out of his house to be greeted by Sarah, that seemed to run at about 8 Fps Average, but it goes up and down, the Z target makes it jump up to 9 FPS and running around drops it to a 6.8 to 7.. Each PSP may run this differently due to: If your psp is at 333 Mhz, if your options are set the same way I have mine, etc. I have made a short clip of LOZOOT, but don't go crying when you see its impressive frame-rate as other areas are still not fulfilling for some...(That'll be my next goal, to get a caching MUCH like the NeoGeo with Rom Conversion possibly) Well thats it for now, I'll get the video up when I get the nearest chance, You will not ber dissapointed DaedalusX64 Community... just ask the other 4 Authorized Alpha Testers at what they have to say about it. ;-)

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=170242

yonder711 said:
Ok kinda back on topic on this one. Here is the latest update from the DeadalusX64 team regarding the current progress of the PSP alpha. These guys are making leaps and bounds. I know this still has a long way to go and the results are still mediocre but in terms of progress im very very impressed. I think we have also found the target of a port if or when one will be attempted.

Captain Morgan, Moers, Kreationz, Shinydude100 and Wally Have recieved the compiled eboot of Daedalusx64 Version 0.01 A (Alpha). There are only a few games I've tested out, and what I can say to everyone is that while it isn't %100 full-speed yet, it has had an increase in FPS. Certain games have dramatic speed-increases that are sustained in certain spots like main menus and logos. I almost screamed when I saw the Nintendo Logo on The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time run for like a good second at 129 FPS. Then of course it dropped down, but the menu before initiating game-play ran at about 55-60 Frames per second. The area of the game where Link walks out of his house to be greeted by Sarah, that seemed to run at about 8 Fps Average, but it goes up and down, the Z target makes it jump up to 9 FPS and running around drops it to a 6.8 to 7.. Each PSP may run this differently due to: If your psp is at 333 Mhz, if your options are set the same way I have mine, etc. I have made a short clip of LOZOOT, but don't go crying when you see its impressive frame-rate as other areas are still not fulfilling for some...(That'll be my next goal, to get a caching MUCH like the NeoGeo with Rom Conversion possibly) Well thats it for now, I'll get the video up when I get the nearest chance, You will not ber dissapointed DaedalusX64 Community... just ask the other 4 Authorized Alpha Testers at what they have to say about it. ;-)

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=170242
This looks like a great source for a port. Just ask the devs to give some dev a private source, or maybe release it publicly.

javaJake said:
I didn't realize how close we are to N64 emulation until I saw this video:Assuming this is running at 333MHz, and considering our Pandora can run at 900MHz, we (I hate to say this) should get a playable N64 emulator at some point. :)

Are there any reasons (minus closed-source) why this won't happen?
MHz numbers mean exactly nothing. Daedalus for the PSP has had the benefit of four years worth of hardcore optimizations from several developers for the PSP's MIPS hardware. It is no closer to running on the Pandora than any x86 emulator. Any and all important bits are still going to have to be rewritten in ARM assembly. It's still a long way off and there is still no guarantee that somebody is going to go through with it.

Chip said:
javaJake said:
I didn't realize how close we are to N64 emulation until I saw this video:Assuming this is running at 333MHz, and considering our Pandora can run at 900MHz, we (I hate to say this) should get a playable N64 emulator at some point. :)

Are there any reasons (minus closed-source) why this won't happen?
MHz numbers mean exactly nothing. Daedalus for the PSP has had the benefit of four years worth of hardcore optimizations from several developers for the PSP's MIPS hardware. It is no closer to running on the Pandora than any x86 emulator. Any and all important bits are still going to have to be rewritten in ARM assembly. It's still a long way off and there is still no guarantee that somebody is going to go through with it.

Four years of hardcore optimizations is rather an exaggeration, it was more some on and off work by StrmnNrmn for a while and a few relatively minor things by some others.

I haven't looked at Daedalus in a while but I don't think it has that much assembly at all, save for some places where VFPU is used (maybe can be converted to NEON). The executable emits MIPS code at runtime, but converting the recompiler is not the same as converting assembly code. Where Daedalus shines over other x86 emulators is that the recompiler already supports multiple targets (MIPS and x86) and was written in such a way so as not to it too difficult to add more.

As a comparison, gpSP was in a similar situation and it didn't take that long to port the recompiler (with two largely independent efforts done by zodttd and myself, I'd say about a month each). And gpSP probably has more interface code written in assembly, the stubs file is thousands of lines long.

Still no guarantee that someone is going to do it, but if someone were motivated enough it might not take very long.

Well Pandora would certainly seem to be capable of handling an N64 emulator, and I doubt anyone would complain about having one. But in reality, it probably take quite some time before it was recognized as half-decent.

Back