Release N64 Emulator?

dark magshin said:
here's an open-source n64 emu that is already made for linux anyways and you could probably recompile it on pandora http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/

after all it is MuPEN64!
(stands for Multi Platform Emulator of the Nintendo 64)

lol, if only it were that simple...
Using my limited knowledge:
The dynamic recompilers are x86 and amd64 specific, so those are not portable whatsoever
Only supports Opengl, and not Opengl es, so that's not portable either

Even between those two, that's a lot of work.... I just hope someone is up for it!!!

A n64 emulator for the Pandora might be better if it was made from scratch. What surprises me is that NES wasn't ported to the Pandora yet (forgive me if i am wrong)

N64 is very possible but may take time. PSX runs near perfect and the n64 can easily run as well.:D

FWIW, Strmnnrmn had this to say on his blog back in November

For what it's worth, I'm currently working on a new port of Daedalus. I'm going to keep the target platform secret for now, but I think it's very exciting. At the very least it means that I'm working on Daedalus again - I'm hoping to keep merging changes from DaedalusX64 back into the Daedalus source, and hopefully provide DaedalusX64 with one or two fixes of my own.

AFAIK, we still don't know what that platform is.

anexanhume said:

For what it's worth, I'm currently working on a new port of Daedalus. I'm going to keep the target platform secret for now, but I think it's very exciting. At the very least it means that I'm working on Daedalus again - I'm hoping to keep merging changes from DaedalusX64 back into the Daedalus source, and hopefully provide DaedalusX64 with one or two fixes of my own.

This has been brought up several times. StrmnNrmn has not received a Pandora board and has shown no interest in receiving one so I highly doubt that he's targetting Pandora.

Exophase said:
anexanhume said:

This has been brought up several times. StrmnNrmn has not received a Pandora board and has shown no interest in receiving one so I highly doubt that he's targetting Pandora.

This is true, but what other else platform would he port it to? The iPhone is a possibility, but unlikely - it probably wouldn't be fast enough (without tons of optimization) to be especially playable, and the lack of ANY decent input scheme for the iPhone makes it an unlikely port.

JayFoxRox said:
he could still have a beagleboard and he probably knows about the pandora. So its possible and likely because no other plattform comes to my mind.

The Pandora team have contacted him, probably before Beagleboards were even available. Would he have really ignored them if he were interested in this?

Yeah, iPhone's controls would be pretty bad, but I doubt performance would be stopping him. Its CPU is faster than PSP's at the very least. The port could be to a console. He could be doing it commercially. No one knows.

Oh, didn't know he was contacted by the Pandora Team. And I thought he mentioned that he wanted to keep daedalus on a portable plattform. But I might be wrong as it is some month ago when I checked his blog last.
Offtopic, on a small side-note: I wonder wether Wolfgang Engel (ex. R* worker) pre-ordered the Pandora. He posted that he got his beagleboard and he mentioned the Pandora on his blog. If he pre-ordered I can't wait to see what he can pull off. Most of his projects are high-quality and he is a really helpful person :D .
//Edit: He just replied in a comment on his blog - he also pre-ordered one. Woo! Can't wait.

Back