N64 For Gp2x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look how many people got flamed after asking if it would ever be possible to emulate PSone on the GP2X, now looks whats happend ;)

also, the 64 wan't 64 bit, don't get that as a reason
it was 2 32bit's, not a 64bit
I think we could get some emulation, but I won't bet all my money on perfect frame rate and sound

but, I think we have a chance for something

if we get good PSX and somewhat N64, and I can get Quake 2 to compile damn it, then I will proboly buy a GP2X this summer, the TV out sounds way to good to me, and I need to get a new PSP, so I might be able to slip this in this summer to have the ultimate portable entourage

~Octavious

Octavious posted on Dec 22 2005 at 09:51 PM said:
I believe that if you double check this claim, you may find that you have confused the Nintendo 64 with the Atari Jaguar. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Octavious posted on Dec 22 2005 at 09:51 PM said:
I think we could get some emulation, but I won't bet all my money on perfect frame rate and sound

but, I think we have a chance for something

if we get good PSX and somewhat N64, and I can get Quake 2 to compile damn it, then I will proboly buy a GP2X this summer, the TV out sounds way to good to me, and I need to get a new PSP, so I might be able to slip this in this summer to have the ultimate portable entourage

~Octavious
It was actually true 64bit

p00pty posted on Dec 22 2005 at 07:41 PM said:
Look how many people got flamed after asking if it would ever be possible to emulate PSone on the GP2X, now looks whats happend ;)

What had happened? A choppy slow PSX "emu" that runs a few games without any sound is hardly considered being "possible". To me possible means you can actually play it. N64 is "possible" too if you call possible running at 1 frame every two seconds with no sound and a few games "working".

It is not possible to the rest of us.

DaveC posted on Dec 22 2005 at 04:12 PM said:
p00pty posted on Dec 22 2005 at 07:41 PM said:

What had happened? A choppy slow PSX "emu" that runs a few games without any sound is hardly considered being "possible". To me possible means you can actually play it. N64 is "possible" too if you call possible running at 1 frame every two seconds with no sound and a few games "working".

It is not possible to the rest of us.

Right on! That even makes xbox360 possible at .00000000000001 frames with no sound!

DaveC posted on Dec 22 2005 at 07:54 PM said:
Yes I agre that the PSP is much better suited for N64 because of the MIPs architecture.

On the other hand GBA would be more likely on the GP2X because they are both ARM.

That's true! However...

N64 on PSP would need a MIRACLE to happen. It would be an emulator most likely created from scratch, a new huge project. We will see if anyone is up to that challenge. And I also think that N64 could work on the GP2x too if someone would create an N64 Emulator from scratch. Look at CORN 0.3 it plays Mario 64, Zelda OoT, WaveRace, Starfox 64, Mario Kart 64 and other first-second Gen N64 titles with a few graphical bugs on incredible old Hardware(166mhz Pentium!) at fullspeed...

nik166 posted on Dec 22 2005 at 10:59 PM said:
i'm quite sure N64 can't run perfectly on the GP2X, but i can't wait to play goemon on a handheld! :D

You can play it right now :rolleyes:

The PC Engine emu supports it ;)

DaveC posted on Dec 23 2005 at 12:12 AM said:
What had happened? A choppy slow PSX "emu" that runs a few games without any sound

Yes exactly. Making your impossible task possible.

As much as i would like to say it's possible... I think we're dealing with a monster here...
From wikipedia:

Specifications
Processor: Custom 93.75MHz MIPS R4300i series 64-bit RISC CPU
L1 cache: 24KB
Bandwidth: 250MB/s
Operations: 93 MIPs (millions of instructions per second)
Manufactured by NEC using 0.35 µm transistor fabrication process
RAM: 4MB RDRAM (upgradeable to 8MB with Expansion Pak)
Bandwidth: 562.5MB/s
Bus: Custom 9-bit Rambus at 500 MHz (max)
Graphics: SGI 62.5MHz RCP (Reality Co-Processor) contains two sub-processors:
RSP (Reality Signal Processor) controls 3D graphics and sound functions
RDP (Reality Drawing Processor) handles all pixel drawing operations in hardware, such as:
Z-buffering (maintains 3D spatial relationships, is Mario in front of the tree or vice-versa?)
Anti-aliasing (smoothes jagged lines and edges)
Texture mapping (placing images over shapes, for example mapping a face image to a sphere creates head)
Trilinear Filtered Mipmap Interpolation (increases texture map rendering speed)
Perspective correction
Environment mapping
Resolution: 246x224 to 640x480 pixels flicker-free, interlaced
Colors: 16.7 million (32,000 on screen)
150,000 polygon/s (all RDP features enabled)
Sound: 16-bit ADPCM Stereo
Channels: 100 PCM (max, 16-24 avg.)
Sampling: 48 kHz (max, 44.1 kHz is CD quality)
Media: 4MB to 64MB cartridges
Dimensions: 10.23 x 7.48 x 2.87 inches (260 x 190 x 73mm) WxDxH
Weight: 2.4lb (1.1 kg)
Controller: 1 analog stick; 2 shoulder buttons; one digital cross pad; six face buttons, 'start' button, and one digital trigger

FFNoir posted on Dec 23 2005 at 02:50 AM said:
As much as i would like to say it's possible... I think we're dealing with a monster here...

Of course! You know Corn went the other way to emulate the system. It used a lot of tricks and a static emulation to emulate that beast even on a 166mhz pentium. However compatibility is low.

You need at least 700mhz of processing power to really emulate the system itself(or something like that is what you need to run nemu or PJ64 or other emulators at a nice speed) in "realtime"...

PSP might sound good enough to emulate the N64, however: There won't be a Pj64, Nemu or something like that running on it at a playable speed. An Emulator from Scratch perhaps, but then again an emulator from scratch might as well run on a gp2x...

Mr. Anderson posted on Dec 22 2005 at 07:39 PM said:
DaveC posted on Dec 22 2005 at 07:54 PM said:
Yes I agre that the PSP is much better suited for N64 because of the MIPs architecture.

On the other hand GBA would be more likely on the GP2X because they are both ARM.

That's true! However...

N64 on PSP would need a MIRACLE to happen. It would be an emulator most likely created from scratch, a new huge project. We will see if anyone is up to that challenge. And I also think that N64 could work on the GP2x too if someone would create an N64 Emulator from scratch. Look at CORN 0.3 it plays Mario 64, Zelda OoT, WaveRace, Starfox 64, Mario Kart 64 and other first-second Gen N64 titles with a few graphical bugs on incredible old Hardware(166mhz Pentium!) at fullspeed...

I'm doing all the research on ContraSF and his emulator as I can. Hopefully I'll be able to turn up some leads as to where he might be. Maybe I'll find contact details that work. I'll keep you guys updated.

Hopefully I can find him, as of right now, it seems he's simply disappeared from the net. :\

hey, if I can play only Mario64 and Zelda OOT. that's fine with me it's betterh than nothing.

for me it's quality first than quanitity.

God Ginrai posted on Dec 23 2005 at 03:22 AM said:
I'm doing all the research on ContraSF and his emulator as I can. Hopefully I'll be able to turn up some leads as to where he might be. Maybe I'll find contact details that work. I'll keep you guys updated.

Hopefully I can find him, as of right now, it seems he's simply disappeared from the net. :\

Yeah he's gone... Heck he doesn't even release 0.3 of Corn, someone who had that version released it instead of him afaik. I don't know what happened to him, but there are only 2 possibilities: He got hired and doesn't need to show off his skills anymore and second posibility: he died :eek:

Mr. Anderson posted on Dec 22 2005 at 10:34 PM said:

Yeah he's gone... Heck he doesn't even release 0.3 of Corn, someone who had that version released it instead of him afaik. I don't know what happened to him, but there are only 2 possibilities: He got hired and doesn't need to show off his skills anymore and second posibility: he died :eek:

didn't rumor has it that Nintendo was so afraid of his talent and that he can can eventulaly make a near perfect N64 emulator that runs on low end machine without 3D hardware that they have the guy killed?

Probably he just got sick of the whining and nagging, took on another project and did his best to dissapear. That or the got a job thing, cause everyone knows assasins arn't good enough to kill good gamers, let alone good programers.

geniv posted on Dec 23 2005 at 03:40 AM said:
Mr. Anderson posted on Dec 22 2005 at 10:34 PM said:
I'm doing all the research on ContraSF and his emulator as I can.  Hopefully I'll be able to turn up some leads as to where he might be.  Maybe I'll find contact details that work.  I'll keep you guys updated.

didn't rumor has it that Nintendo was so afraid of his talent and that he can can eventulaly make a near perfect N64 emulator that runs on low end machine without 3D hardware that they have the guy killed?

Nah, Corn was never meant to be a perfect N64 Emulator ;)

It was more like an experiment, a damn successfull one though. And he didn't continue it for the simple reason that it was a success. One need to understand that he didn't make that emu to make Nintendo lose some million dollars, he made it to show that Emulation on a really low spec system could be possible this way... Infact Corn made inferrior hardware(pentium 1 under WINDOWS!) play games of a superior Hardware(N64, without windows ;)) -quite fascinating isn't it?

I don't know if there are any >Contra-FS'< out there... However nothing's impossible but I've come to the conclusion that realtime running PS1 3D games are more likely than a decent N64 Emulator like corn on the gp2x...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back