N64 Vs Psx Emulation

paddy

Website
Visit site
Hi ,i was thinking about the specs for both n64 and ps1 emulators for windows ,thinking that ps1 can run more than full speed on the pandora gives me high hopes for pandora n64 emulation ,looking at the specs you can see pj64 requires a faster cpu and double the memory to run properly but apart from the cpu i don't see why n64 emulation would be a problem at all ,well for most games at least.

This is the recommended specs for both systems but i have always found ps1 emulation to be harder to run properly over the last five years not much has even changed in regards to the plugins system ,i have never had an issue with n64 but again my pc was way over spec for both systems so i am thinking mabe the psx/ps1 emulator recommended spec should be closer to that of the pj64 n64 emulator for full speed ,a game in question is ridge racer type 4 and gran turismo 2 ,both were hard to run .then the same could be said for golden eye,perfect dark & super smash bros.

playstation ps1 emulator epsxe
--------------------------------
Recommended system configuration:
P2 450 or greater
128 Mb of RAM
Very fast DirectX, Opengl or Glide graphic card
fast CD-ROM
Win9x
DirectX 7a

pj64 nintendo 64 emulator
--------------------------
Intel Pentium 3 1.2Ghz or higher or AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz or higher
256MB RAM or more
nVidia GeForce3 or later or ATI Radeon or later
1GB or more free hard drive space

I don't know what emulators are bein ported to the pandora ,mupen64 ? for n64 and epsxe for ps1 ... don't know but i do know the specs are even lower for other n64 emulators than pj64 so i can only hope n64 emulation on the Pandora will be fast.There are issues that should come into play when thinking about the graphics capabilities of the Pandora of which i also don't really know anything about,will the gfx chip be good enough ? well from the videos of mario64 and final fantasy 7 it does look good enough but i would also like to see some of the more graphicaly demanding games running on the Pandora like n64-pilotwings ,zelda oot and fzero-x ,i can't think of any other game apart from gran turismo 2 that could display graphical problems due to hardware limitations.

So what do you guys think ? will we see full speed n64 emulation on the Pandora ,there was prolly already a list of must see games running on the Pandora build already but i would like to add my own as well and pray that i see those crackers running on the Panodra.

F-Zero X
Pilotwings 64
Turok 64
Zelda oot
Banjo Kazooie
Conkers Bad Fur Day

cheers

psx4all, and we've already been told right from the start that itll run better than full speed.
and for n64, yes the work so far is being done with mupen afaik.

posting pc spec requirements is useless, we already know n64 requires more grunt than psx - thats why it wasnt promised from the start. we wont have full speed in ALL n64 games - just some. there is already a vid of f zero x and pilotwings 64 running at near enough full speed.

Adventus made a compatibility list in the BETA mupen64plus thread. Probably 3 pages from the end.
It has how fast they are and playablity and that was from an older build.. It will only get better.

kingoddball said:
Adventus made a compatibility list in the BETA mupen64plus thread. Probably 3 pages from the end.
It has how fast they are and playablity and that was from an older build.. It will only get better.

The list is here.

He doesn't seem to have tested Conker....

Last edited by a moderator:
Conker has been tested with bad results.

Compatability may have been fixed and it could even work now, but it's wise not to hold your breath, at least until the Pandora is in developer's hands.

Back