Nba Jam On Mame?

Tmanplayer21

Still Fresh
Does anyone play nba jam on their mame gp2x? The gamelist says that it is compatitble, but I can't get my rom to work. It starts loading all the .bin files and says it is starting video emulation.... but then I just get a black screen. Can anyone help me out?

Hmmm, have you tried launching it with each of the 3 executables?

TelcoLou posted on Feb 27 2007 at 05:56 PM said:
Hmmm, have you tried launching it with each of the 3 executables?

Yeah, I tried the regular, compat, and fast. Didn't load.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has come up before.

Funny thing about MAME is that just because a ROM is supported doesn't actually guarantee that it works. MAME developers will often release compatibiity for a ROM into a new release without the game actually being playable.

NBA Jam is such a game. As is Mortal Kombat. I've tried to get Mortal Kombat going and i've got so far as getting it working to the character selection stage, then it dies. I'd imagine NBA Jam would do the same thing as they use similar hardware.

The main reason that it doesn't currently work is that in MAME 0.34 the developers originally thought the CPU was clocked at 50Mhz, whereas it should be actually clocked at 6.25Mhz, so the poor GP2X is working it's guts out try to emulate a hefty spec CPU (needlessly). The other reason is that the game is supposed to run in 16-bit color mode, though this can be tricked into running in MAME's 8-bit color mode.

I'd be keen to hear from Franxis if he's planning another MAME GP2X release soon as I've got a few bug fixes and tweaks for the next release.

EDIT: Spelling as always. I should really proof read then hit the post button, not the other way around! :)

slaanesh posted on Feb 28 2007 at 05:49 AM said:
This has come up before.

Funny thing about MAME is that just because a ROM is supported doesn't actually guarantee that it works. MAME developers will often release compatibiity for a ROM into a new release without the game actually being playable.

NBA Jam is such a game. As is Mortal Kombat. I've tried to get Mortal Kombat going and i've got so far as getting it working to the character selection stage, then it dies. I'd imagine NBA Jam would do the same thing as they use similar hardware.

The main reason that it doesn't currently work is that in MAME 0.34 the developers originally thought the CPU was clocked at 50Mhz, whereas it should be actually clocked at 6.25Mhz, so the poor GP2X is working it's guts out try to emulate a hefty spec CPU (needlessly). The other reason is that the game is supposed to run in 16-bit color mode, though this can be tricked into running in MAME's 8-bit color mode.

I'd be keen to hear from Franxis if he's planning another MAME GP2X release soon as I've got a few bug fixes and tweaks for the next release.

EDIT: Spelling as always. I should really proof read then hit the post button, not the other way around! :)

I have no plan to release a new version soon because i have no interesting news to offer yet.
I only have merged with Chui's MAME4ALL alpha 2, i have added the DaveC icons, minor changes in the timing, but nothing really interesting...

Really i'm very occupied with my real job now to spend time in the MAME port.

But if you have interesting news, i can merge the changes into my latest source code and release a new version (or i can send you my latest version if you want to integrate them by yourself).

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back