[neat Gp32 Tricks] Second Edition!

FabreNZ

Just like last time, this is a selection of tricks for your GP32 to help you get the most out of it!

---------------------------------------------

GP32 Automatic Web Updates

Do you have a selection of websites which you like to keep up-to-date with, but you don't always have time? This could be just what you're looking for. Just follow these simple steps:

[1] - Download the files (http://12.22.230.41/MicroTech/Host/Files/FABRENZ-GP-WEB.zip) and place on SMC (GPETC or wherever you prefer).
[2] - Run "update.bat"
[3] - Install a text viewer in GPMM (LazyReader recommended - http://www.gp32x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,361)
[4] - Disconnect the cable, restart the GP32, open the text viewer, and load "gp32x.txt" from the directory you stored the previous apps in

If all went to plan, you should be viewing the latest content from the GP32x homepage! How did it do that? Well, let's look at the files you previously transferred. Open up "update.bat". The first line tells the application "get.exe" to access the website "www.gp32x.de/index.php" and save it to "gp32x.htm". The second line opens up the downloaded webpage and strips it of the HTML content to make it easier to read on the GP32 and saves the converted file to "gp32x.txt". The third line goes back and deletes the original file, leaving you with just a nicely converted text file containing the latest news from the GP32X homepage! By changing the copying, pasting, and editing those lines, you can have all of your favourite websites synchronise to your SMC every time you run update.bat! You may also want to make update.bat be executed by autorun.inf each time you connect the GP32 to synchronise all the websites automatically.

* Note: I know there is a GP32 HTML viewer already, but I find that the downloaded files generally look awful on the GP32 screen at first, and that is why I get the files stripped into plain text files. Also, I would like to note that I did not create either "get.exe" or "str.exe". They were created by Netikus and Wayne Software respectively.

Decreasing Music Sizes

I find that, with the huge size of a stereo MP3 file, an SMC is quickly filled with just the music, leaving not much room for games. To help with this, first download and install dBpowerAMP and the OGG codec. Next, go to the folder with your music files in it. Select the files you would like to convert, and click "File > Convert to" on the menu bar of Windows Explorer (dBpowerAMP integrates with it). For settings, choose "Ogg Vorbis" and "Mono". Click convert, and when it's finished converting, compare the input and output sizes. You will see that, just by converting from Stereo MP3 to Mono OGG, you should have cut 70% off your files! Using this method, I was able to fit three albums onto a 64 MB SMC! To play the OGG files, get GPAmp or SvOrbis.

Apple iGP32 :lol:

Get a small Apple symbol off an old Apple computer or keyboard, and stick it on your GP32. Because of the white plastic styling that matches Apple products, you can convince your Apple loving friends that Apple finally made a gaming handheld. And to finish the illusion, don't forget to install the OSX Launcher! (http://www.gp32x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,7,286

OK, so maybe that last one was thrown in at the last minute because I (yet again, lol) forgot a couple of the things I was going to have. Next time, I'll make sure to keep a notebook to write down my ideas, so the post should be a bit "plumper" :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hohoho...you should create a fake Apple press release to get all the hipsters really excited. Seriously, Gamepark would shift serious amounts of units if it had the apple logo on there.

I wouldn´t recommend GpAmp for OGG playback. Its features (like creating /saving playlists, Winamp skin support, coollook etc.) are sure cool, but if you have good earphones, you can hear a slight crackling (esp. at start/ending of songs)which i didn´t notice in SVorbis or Yogg.

@Fishbong: well I never noticed the crackling myself (I coded gpamp, and use it all the time) and I'm quite sure that if it's not present in yogg it's not present in gpamp either because gpamp uses the exact same player as yogg does (I ripped it from the yogg source) :)

I never noticed the crackling myself (I coded gpamp, and use it all the time) and I'm quite sure that if it's not present in yogg it's not present in gpamp either because gpamp uses the exact same player as yogg does (I ripped it from the yogg source) smile.gif

I never noticed the crackling either, I listen to ogg's in my car using GpAmp, and a cassette adapter, & I've never heard anything funny.

-BobBorakovitz

The only crackling I noticed with gpamp is when playing mono ogg files. So if you listen to books or something like that I suggest you use another player. I don't really feel like fixing it, unless a lot of people request it.

The only crackling I noticed with gpamp is when playing mono ogg files. So if you listen to books or something like that I suggest you use another player. I don't really feel like fixing it, unless a lot of people request it.
i cant say it too many times, SVORBIS IS THE BEST! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
FabreNZ - Thanks for a great tip on GP32 Automatic Web Updates. Just tried it with radio schedules, and it works a treat. (Much faster than Hotsyncing my Palm)
I'm going to use this a lot.

Back