Need A Bit Of Pc Repair Help, Videocard Fan Failed

RoboJoe32

Where can I find a replacement fan for the heatsink? (I can't remove it since it's epoxied/pasted to the board itself) it's the tri-prong type that uses three screws to secure it.

I checked Nvidia's main site and their support basically said "Sorry, you're SOL, buy a new card and give us money." before I even submitted a question, so I was wondering if there was any place online that sold replacement fans for the cards.

(US site, or one that ships internationally would be the best)

Thanks in advance, I want to use my own computer again soon :(

Which model of Nvidia card is it (5200, 5700, 6800, GF4 ti 200) ?.
Is it an official Nvidia card or a licenced card eg. Power colour, Gigabyte etc.

If you can post a pic or a link to a pic of the exact card, That would be great.

Trooper

Hi, I repair these things at work often.

You cannoy remove the heat sink, but the fan is usually held on by 4 little screws, you can easily remove it, and clean it. if the fan is jammed, you can dissmantle it and clean that as well. It's usually just dust caked in the mechanics of the fan pillar. The fans are usually held together with a little circlip, or plastic clip. once apart, make sure that it's free from muck, and to help it along, put a small, and I mean small ammount of WD40 on the pillar.

P.S. If you cant find the little circlip, The fans usually have a round sticky badge type thing concealing it, peel that off. Don't forget to stick that back, use double sided sticky tape. This helps prevent dust getting into the mechanics.

Back