Need help choosing a new router

Garrett

Advanced Member
I didn't think it made much of a difference.. but it apparently does, anyways I know absolutely nothing about what I'm supposed to be looking for, but I'm told that spending more than around £40 - 50 is just throwing money away.
Another Netgear has been recommended (my current one has loose ethernet connections & a few other issues)
This has been suggested, are there other factors I should be bearing in mind before I purchase & is there something else better (& why.. layman's terms please) for around the same price..?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although way out of your budget.. The Fritz Box is one of the best routers i've ever used but might be over featured for what you want.

I've learned to hate Netgear, Belkin and Linksys/Cisco router interfaces for all seemingly having the same flaw of not calling things what the rest of the world calls them which makes searching for help almost impossible. In my experience they also tend to self destruct after about 18 months.

I picked up a cheap TP-Link router last time, and was pleasantly surprised to find it impressively configurable using standard IP and DSL terminology, and so far (touch wood) it hasn't self-destructed.

You need something that support OpenWRT, Tomato, merlin, or similar.

The standard firmware is _always_ junk.

Be prepared to get a new power supply for it once it fails, thats the most common generic hardware fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
My choice is Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H with OpenWRT

Never regret that purchase.
Amazon suggests that WZR-HP-AG300H was replaced by WZR-600DHP. Think that would still be a smart purchase? If so, I'm certainly thinking about it.

Back