GP2X Need Suggestions For Making Level Map's

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
I have a primitive map strategy going so far.
Im using one ascii character to represent an item.

*************R************************************
*************G************************************
***********GGG************************************
***********G*G*******************R****************
*********GGG*G*******************G*******R********
******G**G*G*G******************G*G******G********
***G**G**G*G*G************G****G***G****GGG*******
*S*G**G**G*G*G*******R***GGG**G*****G*GGGGGGG****F
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

LEGEND
* = Nothing
R = Monster starting point
G = Tile
S = Starting point for player sprite
F = Ending point for player sprite

Is this good enough, or is another approach that I should take?
Im open to all ideas, as im to point where I want to possibely rework and refine how im constructing each level.
If cant figure it out, this is for a jump and run (if you search for JAR you can find screenshots of the above level in action)

Yeah that format will work. I've seen the same format used in other games, i.e. Bob The Amazing Lemon by Woogal for GP32. Other games use inline C data, custom bytecode, or XML.

About level design: People want at least SOME really hard levels. To make those, make a level that is physically impossible to beat and then tweak it to your liking. If you need a good editor to test your skills on, try Lunar Magic, the editor for Super Mario World, its a great engine to learn on.

Blah posted on Aug 23 2006 at 10:15 AM said:
Yeah that format will work. I've seen the same format used in other games, i.e. Bob The Amazing Lemon by Woogal for GP32. Other games use inline C data, custom bytecode, or XML.

About level design: People want at least SOME really hard levels. To make those, make a level that is physically impossible to beat and then tweak it to your liking. If you need a good editor to test your skills on, try Lunar Magic, the editor for Super Mario World, its a great engine to learn on.

iv thought about the custom byte's too, it might make it hard to read.
I know I want to keep it to a separate file.

Im not to concerned about level design, yet. I know the level I have total sucks, but its just something to test the collsion detection. Though my favorite part is the at the beginning, if you fall in between the second set of stacked tiles, its too high to jump out of.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would put a pit there rather than what you've got. It can't be good to get stuck, not being able to progress or go back.

Orkie posted on Aug 23 2006 at 01:04 PM said:
I would put a pit there rather than what you've got. It can't be good to get stuck, not being able to progress or go back.

Your correct it would be better to have a pit, my main goal in this thread is the format on how the maps are stored. Once that is done then I can worry about making "real" levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back