Neo Geo Pocket Probs

danny_galaga

Still Fresh
Website
oldman2x.com
well, ive been happily playing with my new gp2x and so far i have a few things running like mame,quake, picodrive and gnuboy. for the life of me i cant get either neogeopop or handy to work. both work well on my pc so its not a question of the wrong rom or missing the lynxboot.img .

ok, for neogeopop i see in this rather short thread:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...5&hl=NEOPOP

that you should rename the rom to gnp. i have the same symptom of seeing a scrambled screen for a second and then going back to the main menu. ive looked at the readme in neogeopop and its in spanish so im not sure whats going wrong. also the wiki is written by the author i guess and the translation is a little ambiguous for me.

with handy it just goes straight back to the main menu. with gp2xhandy it says 'loading' and has a solid blue strip along the bottom and seems to be frozen. i have to turn the machine off then. in this thread:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...32365&st=30

a few people mention this prob AND that the previous version worked for them. could it be i just need the previous version and if so where can i find it?

thanks,
danny.

Last edited by a moderator:
danny_galaga posted on Oct 19 2006 at 11:07 PM said:
DaveN posted on Oct 19 2006 at 09:27 PM said:

ok, ill have a go at that soon. by the way, i finally did find the previous version of gp2xhandy and it works! just have to ind how to rotate klax the right way around now...

i realised i already had this one. this goes to a green screen that says "cargando" then it says: "error: cannot access to directory" there is a flash of something just before it goes to the error message.

jbrodack posted on Oct 20 2006 at 04:11 AM said:
if you have the version linked to earlier all you need to do is have your roms in roms/ngpocket and it should work. meaning at the root of the sd have folder roms and inside that folder ngpocket

i still cant quite see whats going wrong. are you saying i should create a roms folder but INSIDE that folder i should place the RACE folder? sounds kinda back to front to me...the read me and what you say here seem different. ive tried both ways im sure but its late and im tired. ill give it another shot tomorrow and report back! in any case, do i need to unzip the rom? when i do it gives a ngp ext which sounds right...

You can put the RACE folder anywhere you want, but put all your roms in /roms/ngpocket. I can't remember if there is zip support or not so try unzipped first.

subcon959 posted on Oct 21 2006 at 02:48 AM said:
You can put the RACE folder anywhere you want, but put all your roms in /roms/ngpocket. I can't remember if there is zip support or not so try unzipped first.

ok, im feeling a little silly. can we systematically say WHAT we are doing WHERE? what i think you are talking about doesnt come with any folders named ROM or NGPOCKET. this is what IM doing:

my gp2x is a mkII with firmware 2.0.
extract RACE.ZIP (http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,1526) to GAME on my SD card. it creates a folder called RACE. in this folder are:

battery (file)

bomberman.txt

fondo.png

gpl.txt

intro.wav

numbers.bmp

race.gpe

racescript.gpe

readme.txt

runme.ngp

selectorRACE.gpe

selectorRACE_config

skin.jpg

splash.bmp

IS RACE.ZIP all i need (besides roms) or does this work in conjunction with some other program? i dont necessarily want this one. any emu that runs ngp properly is fine by me (",)

edit: ok, ive put an unzipped rom in the RACE folder. when i start it goes to that bomberman demo. you can play that but you cant get to any sort of menu or indeed get out. i have to switch the machine off...

You have to create a folder on the root of your SD card called 'roms'. Then create a folder inside that one called 'ngpocket'. Then put all your roms in there. Root just means the first level of folders.

The actual emulator folder (RACE) can be anywhere you want, but the roms have to be as described above.

subcon959 posted on Oct 21 2006 at 09:59 PM said:
You have to create a folder on the root of your SD card called 'roms'. Then create a folder inside that one called 'ngpocket'. Then put all your roms in there. Root just means the first level of folders.

The actual emulator folder (RACE) can be anywhere you want, but the roms have to be as described above.

still no joy. i still only get the bomberman thing and no way of getting out except to turn it off. can i get rid of that? maybe thats part of the prob? the reason i bought a gp2x is because i dont like to be told what to like. yet bomberman foists himself onto me without the reward of seeing anything else!

subcon959 posted on Oct 22 2006 at 06:51 AM said:
Delete everything from the card and then download this one and try again using the instruction in the readme.txt or what we've told you. It really does work if you do it right.

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,1620

thanks! i get a bit dyslexic with directories etc sometimes. i assure you im not as stupid as i seem ;) it worked once i did it in a completely empty SD card. i assume the roms folder can be used for pc engine too as it seems to want a roms folder 'outside' of itself? about the size, is there an option for 'fit to screen'? its bloody tiny right now!

Back