Neogeo Is Now Working!

Depends how much memory you'd need. A 32MB card may last long, if you only need 10MB, and the blocks are marked bad as they stop functioning. And SD's have quite alot of write cycles, 10,000-100,000, IIRC YMMV.

I wish there were SD cards with extra RAM, volatile, as i think they call it.

Epicenter posted on Oct 18 2005 at 04:55 PM said:
I find it odd how Aero Fighters 2 lags. Is there some sort of Frame Skip enabled? If the NeoGeo hardware lags behind and the CPU cannot complete a frame fast enough in its allotted time (~1/60th a second) the system will draw the old frame again and again until a new one is ready, making very shloooowwww but smooth play, like bullet-time almost. This is jerky and jumping about, TONS of dropped frames, breaking with the very design principles of the Neo Geo's timing if it weren't using any frame skipping.

It is frame skipping ALOT that is why it is so choppy. It is like FS5 or something. That is without sound too. With sound it would run at like FS12 or something. Not too useable yet. As I said it will need all ASM to run at any playable speed. Nice tech demo though.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Oct 18 2005 at 06:44 PM said:
It is frame skipping ALOT that is why it is so choppy. It is like FS5 or something. That is without sound too. With sound it would run at like FS12 or something. Not too useable yet. As I said it will need all ASM to run at any playable speed. Nice tech demo though.
It's more than just a tech demo.

DaveC posted on Oct 18 2005 at 05:44 PM said:

lol

I hope that GPH releases some kind of Ram addon kind of like the Sega Saturn had the 4mb ram cart, that would be sweet. Then 3rd party companies get a hold of this and creat 2gb SD cards built with say... and extra 64mb of ram or something. that would be so awsome!!

i can SO see a ram addon pack thingy plugging into the EXT port saturn style :D

no doubt that the emu is running with a certain amount of frameskipping, but maybe it looks worse than it is due to the video being done using a digital camera with a low frame recoding rate.

Thing is, virtual memory ought not to destroy your SMC, at least if its possible to get access to the MMU and do it GPAdvance style. The reason being that you're actually talking about a ROM - so a static bit of memory that is unchanging. In other words, virtual memory containing a rom need only be the position of the rom on the SD card with some form of mapping such that when the emulator asks for a bit of the game that currently is not loaded, the right bit gets loaded and subsequently accessed from the right place in RAM.

Slow, but it doesn't kill your card.

What *would* kill your card would be if the original system had, say, 128MB of ram, and you were trying to use a portion of the SD card to make up for that. As far as I'm aware, this is not the case with the Neo Geo, however, MVS or no. Indeed, according to the specs I've found, the system only actually had 64k of internal ram, another 64k of video and 2kb for the Z80 chip - hardly of card-shattering quantities.

That is not to say virtual memory is entirely possible currently... iirc, at one point it was thought that Linux would make it hard for coders to use the MMU correctly, thus removing it as a possibility whilst the original loader was in use, but I don't know if this is still thought to be the case.

hey thats a first version.. sure it needs optimisation, but look at the Dreamcast or PSP ports, the dreamcast also has only 200Mhz and the emu runs now at fullspeed with Sound!

Neo Geo (MVS) included the ram in the games rather then the system, that's why the internal ram specs are deceptively small. (and why cartridges are expensive).

For Neo Geo cd
Work RAM: 56 Mbit+64kbcache
Video RAM: 512 Kb

Ah. Fair enough. In which case SD death would definitely happen. On the other hand, some games going up to 200 Mb is not the same as all doing so... the question is really how much the average game had - and, for that matter, actually used.

there's also the fact that there are good portion of nice neogeo games that aren't on the cd platform..
anyway, anyone know which mvs games won't need virtual memory and are just fine with the 64mb of ram?

I think part of the confusion might come from the small download sizes. Looking at my collection if NeoGeo roms I hardly have any above 40mb (zipped), but when you pull these games out of the zip and start running them they bloat up and take a lot more room in memory apparently.

Would it be possible to run the roms zipped? I think that an emulator or two for the GP32 could run zipped roms. Could this be implemented or would it be too impractical to unzip data as needed?

Back