Netflix's "watch Instantly" On Pandora

SNESFAN

Retro game fanatic
late night browsing has come up with this

roku player source code
http://www.roku.com/support/gpl_rdvp.aspx

roku player is used for netflix's "watch instantly" feature, lets you stream movies via wifi on your tv. It's open source, and the source code is out there, netflix lets you add like 5 devices to your account and I think this would be a cool project for someone who wants to port it to the pandora.

and before you ask, the browser version of Netflix doesn't support Linux, just Intel based windows and mac machines and their browsers

http://www.jpsaman.org/jpsaman/node/3
http://www.dododge.net/roku/nbd.html
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=9859

That's the source for FOSS projects they borrowed code from, not for any of their own code.

What do you even mean, "lets you stream movies to your TV via Wi-Fi"?
Are you thinking of some kind of hardware that plugs into a TV and receives movies wirelessly?

lulzfish said:
That's the source for FOSS projects they borrowed code from, not for any of their own code.

Are you thinking of some kind of hardware that plugs into a TV and receives movies wirelessly?

i got a roku.. it works great actually, it takes the netflix watch instantly stream and plays it on your tv rather than your computer just look at www.roku.com

I saw the article on hack-a-day about them releasing the source code and saw another application for it. Someone was trying to get it to run on a N810 but didn't hear anything more about it, just wondering if this was a possibility either through direct port or emulation of some sort to make whatever app that isn't open to think the panda is actually a roku

Last edited by a moderator:
lulzfish said:
I have it and that's exactly what it does. So if the Pandora has wifi and the code to connect to Netflix then all it needs is a streaming app that will play the content. That would be a killer tool.

Interesting, but they only seem to be releasing some of the source code as part of their GPL agreement.

The actual streaming part is still closed as far as I can see.

I agree, that would be an awesome project for the Pandora. I currently subscribe to blockbuster for my mail order movies but would switch to Netflix for this feature on the Pandora.

I suppose there is SOME potential for it to happen via Mono/Moonlight since the new netflix player software for the PC is based in Silverlight. However, I'd have to guess that the player software is DRMed up the wazoo with proprietary Windows only stuff.

I had the Netflix free trial for my Xbox 360, and for the time it lasted it was great for streaming movies. This would be amazing to have on the Pandora.

Very unlikely, seeing as it doesn't even support linux on PC yet. Special players like Roku and the XBox 360 are getting support, but I don't see it happening for the Pandora any time in the near future.

IIRC, it works as follows:

<br><br>Netflix Watch-it-Now feature uses Microsoft's Silverlight to allow for a cross-platform implementation. The mono project has built silverlight for Linux, it's called Moonlight. The previous barrier to getting netflix onto Linux had been that Netflix uses certain DRM-supporting codecs that are built and released by Microsoft. Recently, Microsoft got around to releasing those codecs for x86 Linux, so, if you can build all the necessary pieces, you can have Netflix on a Linux box. However, since we don't have codecs that will work on ARM, and since we would need to rely on Microsoft to release those, as we need the DRM support, I just don't see this happening.<br><br>EDIT: Sorry, I was wrong, Netflix does not work on Linux at all. I thought that I had read somewhere that people were able to get it working, but it looks like that's not the case.<br>

emil10001 said:
IIRC, it works as follows:

<br><br>Netflix Watch-it-Now feature uses Microsoft's Silverlight to allow for a cross-platform implementation. The mono project has built silverlight for Linux, it's called Moonlight. The previous barrier to getting netflix onto Linux had been that Netflix uses certain DRM-supporting codecs that are built and released by Microsoft. Recently, Microsoft got around to releasing those codecs for x86 Linux, so, if you can build all the necessary pieces, you can have Netflix on a Linux box. However, since we don't have codecs that will work on ARM, and since we would need to rely on Microsoft to release those, as we need the DRM support, I just don't see this happening.<br><br>EDIT: Sorry, I was wrong, Netflix does not work on Linux at all. I thought that I had read somewhere that people were able to get it working, but it looks like that's not the case.<br>

but what if you went the roku player route, it doesn't use silverlight, i beat myself up about 6 months ago fighting the netflix on linux browser possibility

double posting... sorry... whatever...

totally do-able via boxee

http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/12/04/netflix-on-boxee-but-no-appletv-support-yet/

and there's a topic in this forum about boxee, open source, but anyway here's they're website
http://www.boxee.tv/homepage/

edit: FML, uses silverlight... fail

See kiddies? This is why proprietary codecs are evil. People start using them, and the next thing you know *BOOM* .. no more ARM.

jb0yx said:
but what if you went the roku player route, it doesn't use silverlight, i beat myself up about 6 months ago fighting the netflix on linux browser possibility

I don't think that there is a 'roku' route to go, unless you mean buy a roku and use that.

First off, do you know for certain that it does not use silverlight or monolight with the microsoft codecs? My bet is that it does, or that perhaps they built their own codecs, or licensed microsoft's codecs and ported them. Second, as others have mentioned, they are only releasing the source for the open-source software that they used for the roku, not their netflix player or necessary codecs.

Back