• Yes

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 60.0%

• Total voters

Tom` said:
Pleng said:
Elwing said:
I guess he makes asumption on the 100hr anounced some years ago by craigx...
that said it's prolly easier to achieve that level of powersaving using something like rockbox rather than a full linux OS...

Because rockbox's power management features are better than Linux's?
And because Rockbox may already have heavily-optimized decoders written in assembler for some common formats. I don't know how portable these would be, but it makes sense that an OS designed for digital audio players would be able to maximize battery life and CPU time.

Not unless the OS is able to make use of the power management features of the hardware, it doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleng said:
Elwing said:
I guess he makes asumption on the 100hr anounced some years ago by craigx...
that said it's prolly easier to achieve that level of powersaving using something like rockbox rather than a full linux OS...

Because rockbox's power management features are better than Linux's?

not really, but less multytasking and deamon running in background means surely that it would be easier to completly shut of some part of the hardware...

I'm not convinced, but I have no stats to back it up.

Pleng said:
I'm not convinced, but I have no stats to back it up.

same, and it would not be a simple port as some people seems to think... that said if we'll get an optimized linux to play mp3 with a much bigger playtime I'm afraid that even the tiniest user change might completly broke the powersaving features...

Elwing said:
same, and it would not be a simple port as some people seems to think...

Why not? Most specs and drivers for the Pandora are available, device is fully hackable.. I am pretty sure this is a lot easier to make than a port for any closed mp3player.

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/RockboxAsAnApplication2010

RockBox is actively being converted to an application... that said it could probably handle suspending/resuming daemons and other things in order to increase power efficiency I doubt 100hours though with the screen on as ED said the screen sucks most of the battery. with it off I bet 20+ would be easy... that said undervolting and underclocking might help as rockbox plays back mp3s and mpeg pretty well even on sub 100mhz devices

The GSoC project has already started creating an Application target and switched the sound backend to alsa instead of SDL reducing the dependancies.

Back